Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:12 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

vvcarpio,

Knowledge, insights in perspective, angles. Many considerations, "hard work", intellect. All you could want. You wanted to show the additional pictures, glad you did

Ceiling painting, reflections in the lamps - and lots of more to come back to

This is an analogue miljeu, setting. What about throwing out the PC screens next time

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:27 AM   #12

Very nice series. The last image is stunning. I hope you do not mind, but just down loaded topaz adjust 4 about a week ago and I'm still playing with the presets. The crisp preset was used for your photo. Your photo is great, just looking at the detail that this program can bring out...
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Very nice series. The last image is stunning. I hope you do not mind, but just down loaded topaz adjust 4 about a week ago and I'm still playing with the presets. The crisp preset was used for your photo. Your photo is great, just looking at the detail that this program can bring out...
It is impressive, but it also doesn't look real. If surealism is the goal, this one wins - But if realism is the goal, the other is superior

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:13 AM   #14

Thanks, Torgny. I, too, don't know what to make of the monitors -- they seem out of place .

On the other hand, I think computers (and the Internet) are necessary for research since in today's fast-paced modern times, by the time a book gets published, you can safely assume its contents are already out-of-date.

Ancientritual, I like your "surreal" version. It looks more like a dungeon from a video game like Doom or Far Cry. For a desktop wallpaper, I'd use your version instead of mine.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:20 AM   #15

...I did enjoy the pics, still do! Very well done, thank you
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:00 AM   #16

Thanks a lot, boBBrennan!

To all, I added a few more pics of windows and ceilings.

#15.

#16.

#17.

#18.

#19.

#20.

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:12 AM   #17

This is one of the best series of photos I have seen in all the years I have been on these forums!! I am really drawn to #15, can't explain why it is just captivating to me for some reason!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:31 PM   #18

I'll second that. These are photos one wants to linger over, picking out new details each time. I really like the shot with the Empire State Bldg. in the window.

You made it seem mysterious and warmly inviting at the same time. Splendid.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:50 AM   #19

Wow, you have some amazing details in this last set - really stunning photos, vv!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:21 PM   #20

Thank you, all -- I'm very humbled by your comments .

My curiosity at exploring the library -- usually passed over by tourists and locals since anything that does not require you to pay admission cannot be that good -- started out during some rainy days when I can't shoot outdoors.

Then the company I am working at started clamping down on employees surfing the Internet too much (I'm guilty like everyone else) so I started bringing my netbook to the library during lunch hour where there's free wi-fi.

I have to say surfing the Web under richly decorated ceilings that rival those of the Byzantine Empire or the Renaissance makes me feel rich. Couple that with resting my tired, weary eyes from all that staring at pixels on my tiny LCD screen by looking out the window and instead of seeing a flat blue sky I am royally treated to a magnificent view of the Empire State Building, you can say that I’m feeling it.

Before long I was exploring other parts of the library, too, and discovering pleasant surprises just about everywhere. I wish I had reason to do research on literature, genealogy, cartography, and “ephemera, oeuvre and catalogues raisonnes” (I’ve no clue what that last one meant -- I just lifted it off nypl.org’s webpage) so I can gain access to the library’s collections inside stately rooms with dramatic lightings someone must have thought conducive to the intellect and that are off-limits to curious rubberneckers like me.

And to think I discovered all that because of the dire straits I was in -- some rainy days and a stringent company policy -- I guess one can feel hopeful that behind just about everything there's always a bright side to be found.