Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

I went to the Church of Saint Mary the Virgin on 46th Street the other day to take pictures. A service was going on when I arrived so I just stood by the entrance and started screwing my gorillapod onto the bottom of my camera. I kneeled down on one knee and laid my camera on the floor for a straight shot at the sanctuary with the priest conducting service at the altar. After a few shots another priest in black cassock approached me. I remembered seeing him by the door inside when I came. I stood up expecting him to tell me I was in the way and that a service was underway would I mind if I move along.

But instead he said, “Do you call yourself Mugsy?”

“Um, no,” I said.

“There was a man here the other day. The pictures he took were wonderful. He called himself Mugsy. I thought maybe you’re him,” he said.

I said, “No. But I’m willing to share my pictures...”

I didn’t finish my sentence when, smiling, he handed me the church’s business card. On its back was scribbled an e-mail address.

I simply nodded. He turned, still smiling, and walked away.

It didn’t take a moment for me to realize that I was just given permission to take pictures of the church. I kept cool but was thrilled. The service soon ended and so I walked into the sanctuary as people were leaving. From the center aisle I started taking pictures of the altar, the ceiling, the rose window, and organ in back. For the next few minutes, I was the church's “official” photographer.

Not too far from where I crouched were a woman in plain business suit and the priest who just finished the service. They were in discussion I surmised of whatever business matters were at hand. When they were done I stood to one side to give the woman passage. I half-expected her to give me an excuse-me-what-is-the-nature-of-your-business-here look. But instead she smiled very friendly, almost childlike I’d say, when she walked by.

For me, a lifelong employee tutored in the ways of Wall Street, it was mostly about a fair exchange. In exchange for satisfying my craving for capturing their church through optics and electronics, I will gladly share the images I take.

But I realize churches work differently. They operate on the principle of charity. When they give, they ask for nothing in return. And so when services are offered to them for free -- or, in my case, may be sought for free -- they likewise hold nothing back when receiving. Especially so when they can proudly show off the church that they are passionate about.

And maybe that’s how giving-and-receiving should be. More than just a simple exchange it should also always be a cheery reminder that someone is doing the giving.

#1) Sanctuary

#2) Rose window and organ.

#3) Ceiling above the altar.

#4) Exterior.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Apr 24, 2010 at 8:08 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2

Great shots. The interiors are especially nice...well composed.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Fantastic pictures! The colors are spectacular!

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Every shot one Id be proud to call my own. Very nice VV.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:37 PM   #5

Wonderful shots vv - the inside is REALLY beautiful... gotta go out and shot a church when I've the time

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:41 PM   #6

WOW! VERY impressive.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:08 AM   #7

Thanks, all, for the compliments!

I thought I'd add one more...

#5) Altar.

Thank you for looking!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:54 AM   #8
spy

I could only wish we would have something like this here. Jaw dropping beautiful. Could you take a tripod in there and take a series of 'landscape' mode shots capturing the bottom and moving all the way up to the ceiling and photomerge them in ps?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:32 AM   #9

Default Looking into the Heavens...

A beautiful and serene place and beautiful pictures captured. Nice work, nice commentary.

I dare say you also captured a taste of the "Spirit" too ! I urge your return to see what else you may discover there. Keep us posted.

Good Luck & God Bless !

Strobe
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:29 PM   #10

Thanks, spy and Strobe. Yes, a tripod height (eye-level) I think would be a good view of the nave. I don't normally carry my tripod -- I shoot during lunch break so I only bring my gorillapod. One of these days, I might...