Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old May 3, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Gomez Mill House in Marlboro, NY

Sixty miles north of New York City is Gomez Mill House in Marlboro. (No, it's not the same "Marlboro Country" in the cigarette ads .) The house was built in 1714 by Luis Gomez, a Jewish immigrant who fled the Spanish Inquisition in Europe. He quarried limestone and milled timber there for a living and used the house as trading post for goods arriving via the Hudson River.

The house was then bought by Wolfert Acker in 1772 who turned it into a center for the Revolutionary War, America’s fight for independence from Britain. It was a time of suspicion, conspiracy, and mistrust as one couldn’t tell who was loyalist (one who wanted to remain a colony of Britain) and who was revolutionary (one who wanted independence from Britain). Acker built a peephole on the front door (about the size of copy paper) to see who’s coming -- friend or foe -- whenever hooves were heard galloping to a stop just outside.

Anyway, the tour was informative especially for me who didn’t know what “loyalist” meant. There was just my family (of four) and another group of three (“golden girls” ) in the tour.

At the start of the tour I told the guide we’re into photography. You can say it was my way of saying not to expect much from us as we were there mostly to take pictures and not really to learn about the place’s history.

Going around the different rooms I took pictures while the guide spoke. I used whatever support I could to steady my shot -- tabletop, chair, top edge of door, bed frame, etc. -- being very careful not to knock things down especially when propping my camera on top of antique furniture.

At one point the guide sounded apologetic for not having enough light on one of the displays. He pointed out some markings on the ceiling where spotlights would be installed. I thought he didn’t have to tell us that. What we didn’t know couldn’t hurt us.

Often I’d wait until the group moved on to another room so I and my daughter (who is now also into photography) could be left alone and take pictures of the room sans tourists. I tried to hurry my shots so I can rejoin the group not really to learn more but to give the guide peace of mind that I wasn’t breaking (or stealing) stuff while I was out of his sight.

It turned out I need not have worried. After a while when I rejoined the group in another room, the guide asked me, “Did you get enough pictures of the last room? When we are done with this room you can take pictures here.”

Needless to say I was surprised and thought the gesture accommodating. At the time he said that whether I meant to or not I was beginning to get a real sense of what life was like during Revolutionary times. And learning about the place's history just got a boost in the arm knowing, too, that the guide took special pride in teaching it.

#1) Gomez Mill House.

#2) Living Room.

#3) Kitchen.

#4) Bedroom.

#5) Mill.

#6. View of house from the mill.

C&C welcome. I especially appreciate it when you can point out things that can be eliminated like when Ordo pointed out a polarizer can eliminate flares. Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2

Beautiful pics as always from you.

I would love to be able to get similar pics like yours.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:55 PM   #3

Thanks, Daniel, for the high compliment.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:10 PM   #4

VV,

Very nice, you get around the tristate quite allot I see.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:06 AM   #5

Thanks, shoturtle. There's a lot of good places to visit up here, and I've been skipping the local attractions so far.

I added two more:

#7) Dining room.

#8) "The Golden Girls" with the guide .
Old May 4, 2010, 1:21 PM   #6

#5, the mill, is ridiculously good. Thank you for sharing your adventure.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 3:53 PM   #7

A very lovely series. Beautifully shot, as always.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 3:56 PM   #8

Really like your style... a great way to present architectural shots!! Beautiful series once again

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 7:09 AM   #9

Thanks, Cherokee Outlaw! Like I always do now, I e-mail the place I go to with a link to the pics (and the "adventure" I write) so they may use them freely if they wanted. They e-mailed back asking if they can include my adventure in their website.

Thanks a lot, Walter and maggo85 -- I appreciate your comments!

To all, I added 3 more:

#9) Mill window.

#10) Mill door.

#11) Entrance.

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome as always.
Old May 6, 2010, 7:23 AM   #10

You've set a perfect example for the people that redicules HDR for being over the top and fake looking.
These scenes can only be justified with this grunge look for HDR in my opinion.
The textures are so yummy I want to lick the side of the houses, haha

well done, I hope you got more to bring !

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote