Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:09 PM   #1

Default The News Building (NYC)

The News Building on 42nd Street is where some scenes from the 1978 movie, Superman, were filmed. It is of art deco architecture like some of its neighboring buildings including the Chrysler Building one block away.

The News Building on the east side of Manhattan used to be the headquarters of The Daily News, America’s first tabloid and Pulitzer-prize winning newspaper. The paper moved to 450 W 33rd in Hells Kitchen in 1995.

#1) Facing inward.

#2) Facing outward.

#3) Up close. It is hard to take a bracket of shots of the globe for HDR processing because it moves (spins) every two seconds, according to the security personnel I spoke to.

#4) Inscription at base.

#5) Building entrance.

You can view a scene from the Superman movie here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkP5tXZ0f4

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:17 PM   #2

Thanks. Different things appeal to different folk. I like the inscription and front rotating door shot. Mostly the metal colour. The people, not really.

That blurry guy could have moved along don't you think? I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they see a photographer setting up, diddling and ready. Can't they just move a few feet? But I just accept whatever.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:27 PM   #3

Thanks, frank! Yes, many times I've thought the same thoughts. I remember one time in the library I've taken 2 shots of a doorway in a planned bracketed multiple shots when a woman came out of the door and started talking on her cellphone. I waited a really long time for her to leave like you won't believe when, finally, I gave up.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:57 PM   #4

That’s how you can spot another photographer, they will avoid getting in the shot.
R.A.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:53 PM   #5

Yes. Also many people don't seem to be aware that wide angle lenses are pretty common nowadays and that they are inside my frame when I aim my lens a little off to their side.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:14 PM   #6

or vice-versa. I was taking a street photo on the weekend and didn't realize that a guy sitting in a car was in it. He waved! I woke up and told him "you're not gonna be in my picture" and re-positioned myself. With my glasses and the sony a550 eyepiece, it's hard for me to see the edges.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Haha. I'm really getting quite interested in Bynx's contraption in the "finally got the courage" thread (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques/173949-finally-got-courage.html).

But one day my wife showed me how we might not need it. With her P90's vari-angle LCD and my A350’s tiltable LCD, we just flip up the LCD and turn the camera sideways to point to our right and left. Unless the person to our right or left looks in our direction, he/she won’t know the lens is actually facing him/her and not toward the front.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:47 PM   #8

Great shots, although I think the information is out of date as Struve's star is a double star

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struve_1341
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:41 PM   #9

Beautiful shots. Thumbs up.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:38 PM   #10

Thanks, Daniel.

I've been meaning to say "thanks" for some time now but since we're on the topic of Superman, I wanted to post a pic of a Superman statue I took at a souvenir store some months ago. But I couldn't find it. Sorry. So I decided to "redo" a Superman photo I took at Toys R Us in Times Square which I posted here sometime ago. Back then, I was zooming the lens barrel to simulate motion. Now that I learned how to "photoshop", I realize I didn't really have to. I just used radial blur.

#6)