Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:00 AM   #1

Default Kenzo Tange Fiera District - Bologna : Foreword

Fiera District is an important building complex located in Bologna, an old north italian city.

Fiera Districy has been build in 1967.

The architecture has been designed by the japanese architect Kenzo Tange.

http://www.pritzkerprize.com/tange.htm
http://www.ktaweb.com/en_index2.html

I went to this site on December the 15th.

It was a wonderful clear day and I took the opportunity to go there during lunch time.

I took about 70 shots that day.

I usually edit 1 out of 10-15 shots but this time I have been inspired : about 1 out of 2

I will present the shots grouped by the following collections :
  • 1] Overviews
    2] Buildings
    3] Street Lamps and Mirrors
    4] Symmetry
    5] People And Architecture
    6] Asymmetry
    7] Pointing To The Sky
Enjoy them

P.S. :
Lens Deformations
This architecture has been an hard task for my lenses : perspective deformations and barrel distortion were immediatly revealed by the buildings.
1) First of all I started to fix Barrel Distortion ( well, when I discovered this possibility, actually, almost at 1/3 of my work )
The magics is performed by the PS filter Distort\Spherize : if u set negativa values you can reduce the barrel distortion. Depending on shots I used valued ranging from -6 to -3.
2) As a second step I usually rotate the shot till the horizon is "horizontal".
3) The third step is the most patiente taking one : I select all and apply Edit\Transform\(Skew,Distort,Perspective,Scale) operations ( you can apply this ops all at once before entering the double click in order to have just one interpolation instead of several ones whuch could cause an increasing loss of quality in the image).
With this operations I try to correct leaning lines and keep things "squared".
I help myself with the toolbox window for the vertical lines and with a strecthed navigator window for the horizontal ones.
In some cases I haven't made perspective corrections to intentionally enhance dynamics.

Noise :
In some cases the sky was noisy : I have applied a Noise\Despeckle filter in some cases while in other ones I have completly substituted the sky with linear gradients whose colors have been picked up by the original ones.

Levels :
Automatic levels have always been tryed. Sometimes they have led to overexposed areas in the white buildings. In these cases I corrected levels manually. In others ones I selected overexposed areas and reduced brightenss and contrast manually before the level correction.

Contrast :
Automatic contrast, Sharpen Edges and Unsharp Mask have been used in different mixes.

Some errors have been left : overexposed, underexposed,barrel distorsion
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links