Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:12 AM   #11

vvcarpio,
I don't know which I am more impressed with, the beautiful photos, or the accuracy with which you related the history told there. I really like the picture of the outside of the log home, and also the one of the Sacred Grove. Most pictures of the Sacred Grove published by the Church are taken in the spring when things are greener (That's the time of year when Joseph went there to pray and had the vision). I really like your shot.
I am also a member of the Mormon faith and that place does hold great meaning. I have wanted to visit, but haven't ever had the opportunity. Your pictures are beautiful and they bring me a little closer. Thanks for sharing them.
I was once one of those young missionaries knocking doors. It is interesting to hear how others view our missionary efforts. Thanks for relating your experiences there, and again, great pictures.
Ryan
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:01 AM   #12

Not just good photo's but journalistic skill as well..Well done
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:31 AM   #13

Thank you, Ryan, musket.

#9) Unlike the Frame Home, which is 80% original structure, the Log Home is a full restoration built by builders who specialize in reconstructing antique homes using the same tools -- no power tools -- of the period. The Log Home is restored in its original spot beside the Sacred Grove. This is the upstairs bedroom where the angel appeared to Joseph Smith, Jr. My wife took this picture.

#10) Window in the upstairs bedroom. My wife took this picture.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:11 PM   #14

Those are great VVcarpio, tell the wife well done... I love them greatly!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:13 AM   #15

Thank you, SharpShotGal. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

#11) Upstairs room in the Frame Home. My wife took this picture.

#12) Downstairs bedroom in the Log Home. The "sitting area" outside the bedroom (foreground) was where Joseph Smith, Jr. held meetings when he was translating the golden plates. My wife took this picture.

#13) Visitor Center at the Joseph Smith Family Farm. The farm, the Log Home, and Frame Home are at the back of the Visitor Center. The Sacred Grove (not shown) is immediately to the right. My wife took this picture.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:41 PM   #16

#12 the sitting area where the meetings were held... No wonder there were not many in the witnessing of the plates the room was small... One would think that if there were plates found to day the state department would come in and take the plates and hand them over to another for placing its worth or value to some other than religious orders.... Life to day can be so bland to all.... or more truthful... what do we say to this? Thank the lord for the truth be known .... Having Royal Blood lines my self I can just was up but yet its the way others are treated that counts so some where it all has to come even....
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:25 AM   #17

The guide didn't actually call it "sitting area". He just referred to it as "this room." I had to give it the name "sitting area" to differentiate it from the bedroom in my description.

Your observation about the "sitting area" is pretty accurate. I remember the guide telling us something like, "you can imagine just how many people can fit in this small room".

The guide said no one today actually knows what furniture were inside the Log Home or if they had any beds for the children at all upstairs. But the rooms were accurately recreated. He said the antique home builders had ways of finding out the actual construction.

I read later that the golden plates were returned to the angel Moroni after being translated. But there were, I think, eight witnesses to its existence and being in the hands of Joseph Smith, Jr.

#14) Back of the Log Home.

#15) Our guide inside the Frame Home. My wife took this picture.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM. Reason: I meant to type "Frame Home", not "Family Home".
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:51 PM   #18

Well worth the visit of course, so are you going to write a piece and submit it.... I would say to some local magazine or history maybe even the Ensign the official magazine of the Church of Later Day Saints... They do take in stories but not sure what they pay they will be notified if selected... I can give you the address to their Editorial. You should visit Mormon.org they have gotten out a lot with Computers...

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Mar 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:24 PM   #19

I would like to be published but I don't know how or if I can take money from a church, at least while I'm still gainfully employed. But if you send me the address to their Editorial, I'll send them the narrative and pics for free should they decide to publish it. I think that's how everyone gets started anyway -- writers, photographers, musicians, and whatnot -- by offering their services for free. Thanks for your vote-of-confidence, SharpShotGal. It means a lot.

#16) The Palmyra New York Latter Day Saints (LDS) Temple is visible from the farm.

#17) On the way back we stopped by the LDS Temple. The gates were locked although there were only bushes with plenty of openings on either side of the stone posts that held the gates up, so we could have walked in to the property and took closer pictures. We weren't sure if we would be trespassing, though, so my wife took this picture with her zoom from outside the gate. The golden statue on top of the Temple is angel Moroni's.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:30 PM   #20
Super Moderator

very nicely introduced, you have a knack for writing I can tell, this could have easily been in any travel magazines introduction.

and the photos are really great, especially the first set. these are not easy conditions to shoot in and you handled it extremely well. the indoor scene in #2 is as good as it gets in this setting and i love how you handled the sun in #3.