Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:25 PM   #21

Wonderful set of pictures. Humble houses; clean souls.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:12 AM   #22

Thank you, Hards80, Ordo.

The guide, I'd say, was very proud of the homes and furnishings and the people who made them. There was a tour group of four people ahead of us -- and I imagine scores of others day in and day out -- but I saw no sign of boredom in his narratives like you might expect at other attractions. On the contrary, I detected excitement in his voice as if he was telling us this for the first time. At the end of the tour he said the Mormon faith was the greatest thing that happened to him and his wife (whom we've met at the Visitor Center).

#18) Path from the Frame Home to the Log Home.

#19) Winding path inside the Sacred Grove.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:16 AM   #23

Temples are always locked but for days that full fledge members are heading there... If you ever get the chance and are in Utah make sure you visit the Visitor centre there.. I hear say that they have free days to go into the temple there but I have no idea when that is.... I am always busy with my life and with helping make things for the coffers...its hard to be just for a church when there is a real life to live to.... Find a private message for this... and by the way I love those last few too!

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Mar 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:41 AM   #24

I would have loved to take pictures inside the Temple. I remember it has days open for public tours. There's also actually a visitor center complex in Palmyra, (apart from the "visitor center" I keep referring to which is in the Family Farm), but was already closed when we arrived.

I think charity work is good. Not just for the beneficiaries but for the volunteers, too.

#20) The family farm. When the guide said the fences, like the Log Home, were also recreations, I mentioned they looked similar to the ones we saw at the Civil War memorial in Maryland. The guide said, yes, they're identical, but the farm's fencing came before the Civil War.

#21) One thing I noticed was the proliferation of benches in the farm (see #18, too). Whereas some museums we've been to seem to abhor benches and want the crowd to keep moving (perhaps benches attract people to hang out, open packed lunches, and spread litter), the Joseph Smith Family farm has plenty of them. I can imagine an old couple making a pilgrimage and sitting down on this bench in the Sacred Grove to both rest and reflect.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:08 PM   #25

That is what the lord said to do... That the 7th day was the day of rest.. To keep it Holy... work all the other day but not that one day... One can get burned out if they keep working ever single day so one day of rest from work is good enough... I miss having the 5 day work week with Sat being my home work day and then of course Sunday we rested..... and that is just what the lord said to do ...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:48 AM   #26

Just one day a week. And as I remember reading in "The Faith Instinct" (2009) by Nicholas Wade, churchgoers begin to grumble in the pews when the minister rambles on for far too long...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:57 AM   #27

That for sure.... I hated to have to sit in a cold church even with my coat on and listen to a preacher give lectures as if he was giving judgement us all...Children as well.. plus not having time enough upon getting up at 6:30 in the morn to eat a good breakfast so I would be hungry too!..... and each time they slammed the Bible down or hit it ... it would startle me to near death... Today at even a slight noise unexpected I feel it rattle my cage and send current through my nerves endings that do not make me feel good at all. There has been some things that have done that in the LDS Church but yet it carries over from my child hood a condition from so many other things as well.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:14 AM   #28

I remember the book was comparing today's impatience with religious customs of really ancient times (tribes long before Christ -- how do scholars know when they weren't there? Tribes in remote islands and jungles that early Westerner-researchers came into contact with continue to practice their ancient rituals. Anyway...) when natives would sing and dance for over 24-hours non-stop in religious rituals. Today, churchgoers have other things in schedule right after the service.

But reading your description I can see those happen, too.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:50 PM   #29

AH what came to thought after reading first part remembering the Jim Jones and his followers.. and the many others.. at least I do not see the Mormon faith all dying as such... but outsiders pushing them on in such haste.. I see outsiders pushing death on even with out religion ... as if they wish to stop all religions thinking they are the only that deserve to live.... they are those in ill haste and taste in life.... long story of course...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:15 AM   #30

VV, you are really a teacher aren't you. Your narriatives are so compelling you have to be a teacher or a writer. Any way whatever your profession you are above and beyond all else a great photographer. I do so love your work!. Thanks for sharing...Frank