Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Two Churches in Middletown, NY

Middletown, NY, was first settled (by a European) in 1744. (To give an idea on timeline, the first Dutch trading post used to trade with Indians was established in New York City, about 70 miles south, in 1614.)

Creation of the Erie Railroad that ran from New York City to Lake Erie (where Niagara Falls empties into) allowed cities along its path to boom. One such city was Middletown which became a village in 1848 and was incorporated as a city in 1888. Establishment of The First Congregational Church in 1785 “marks the beginning of Middletown's existence as a village.” (source: wikipedia.org)

#1) The First Congregational Church in Middletown, NY. The building was constructed in 1872. It has the highest spire in Middletown.

#2) Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Middletown, NY. Unitarian Universalists believe that “Truth is not absolute; it changes over time.” (source: uunashua.org) They “do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth and by the understanding that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritative requirement.” (source:wikipedia.org) John Adams, the second president of the United States, “preferred Unitarian worship services”. (source: uua.org)

#3) The conservative and liberal churches standing side-by-side in Middletown, NY.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:50 PM   #2

Just how did you take these shots? Did you lay down and shoot up back wards or as you were on your front side? OR were you kneeling? I like one and two but the last one maybe if the street poles were out of the picture it may look better...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:11 AM   #3

One of my tripod leg's clips was actually broken so I cannot adjust it to full height. (I have to buy a new tripod.) Which I thought worked better because the lower angle guaranteed that the churches fit inside my landscape-mode frame. That, plus two other factors contributed I think: the road was going downhill where I was (no need to kneel) and the ultra-wide angle lens pronouncing the looking-up angle more.

Thank you for the suggestion about cropping out the powerlines -- I think it looks better.

#4) Cropped without the powerlines.

#5) Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Church shot from across the street. The street is an incline.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:01 PM   #4

It does look a lot better.. Thanks for filling me in on how you took the shots.. Some of the bigger subject can be hard to gain in a whole frame such as churches unlike Mountains at a distance.. I asked for I my self would like to do some very serious shooting but giving the age plus more its kinda hard to do so.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:56 PM   #5

Thanks, SharpShotGal. Regarding age, I'm not that young anymore, too. So I try to be careful when hiking. Last weekend, while taking pictures at a local park, I slipped on the ice and fell face flat on the snow. There was a solid sheet of ice under the snow. I was taking a shortcut to the car up a steep incline to get napkins so I can wipe off the snow on my camera lens because I already slipped on the ice and fell face flat on the snow earlier, too, while changing positions with my tripod. Thankfully, apart from a bruised knee, I'm alright. A few more years and I'd probably be in serious trouble.

#6) I've posted all the pics I took of the two churches (apart from another one very similar to #1), so I thought I'd play around with Topaz Detail's "Black & White Contrasted" look.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6

Now that one there look s as if the steeple is splitting the sky some.. of just going into it some... Great shot there I really like it....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:51 AM   #7

Thanks, SharpShotGal. I like your comment about the sky being split up.

#7) Topaz Simplify's "buzsim" on the church.