Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:03 PM   #1

Default Saint Thomas Church in NYC

Saint Thomas Church is a parish church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. The building in French High Gothic style was completed in 1914. (source:wikipedia.org)

The Episcopal Church was formed in the U.S. after the American Revolution (1775–83) forced it to separate from the Church of England. (The Church of England, in turn, separated from the Roman Catholic Church in 1534 in part for theological reasons and in part from personal motivations by the royalties involved.) Since its teachings are based on Catholicism combined with principles of the Protestant Reformation, the Episcopal Church may be described as “Reformed Catholic.” (source:wikipedia.org)

The Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys is considered by many to be an outstanding choral ensemble. (source: New York Architecture website) The men are professional singers while the boys are enrolled at the Saint Thomas Choir School, the only church-affiliated choir school in the U.S. (source:wikipedia.org)

“Music is at the heart of our mission, one of the primary ways in which we worship, love and serve our Lord Jesus Christ.” - Saint Thomas Church website.

The choir’s music may be sampled at Amazon.

#1) Saint Thomas Church altar and reredos.

#2) Rose window, gallery, and organ of Saint Thomas Church.

#3) Side chapel. New York City has many old churches. Walking inside one -- when the traffic, crowds, and exhaust fumes are replaced by the quiet, the darkness, and the musty smell of old wood -- is like stepping into an altogether different realm.

#4) Saint Thomas Church on 5th Avenue and 53rd Street in New York City. Dwarfed by the skyscrapers surrounding it, Saint Thomas Church looks grander and more spacious when viewed from inside than from outside.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:45 PM   #2

Beautiful series and well done. Such a pity the church is now dwarfed by skyscrapers,
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:47 AM   #3

Thanks, banksy. Yes, almost all old churches in Manhattan have a skyscraper building or two for a neighbor.

#5) Part of the narthex.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:43 PM   #4

The photos and narratives are great as always. I paticularly liked #s 2 &3.

Paul W. Kipsch of Klipschhorn fame was a devout man who attended churches of many denomonations over his lifetime. He was quoted as saying the Episcopalians had the best music and the Presbyterians had the best preachers although he didn't agree with the theology of either.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:40 AM   #5

Interesting info about Klipsch. I didn't know much about the speakers or the founder until now. Also about the churches. If I meet someone "shopping" for a church, I'll remember to tell them about Klipsch's observations, too.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Man I wish I could have helped build a building like that...Nice photography!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:15 AM   #7

One brick at a time it's not yet too late just kidding... Thanks hkmp50!

#6) There was probably a time when churches were the tallest structures on Fifth Avenue -- there are two in this shot (and one behind me). Now you can hardly see them. Saint Thomas Church is between the tall white building near center (with the "citi" logo on top) and the smaller but still tall tan building to its right.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i really love shots #2 and #3. the grandeur and expansiveness really comes out from your perspective in #2 and i just love the repeating lines and curves of 3.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:25 AM   #9

Thank you, Hards80.

There was a noontime service nearing its end when I arrived so I waited a few minutes by taking pictures of the narthex in #5. There were only few congregants so I guess they used the smaller side chapel in #3.

Those are all the pictures I took so I thought I'd play around with some of Topaz's presets.

#7) Adjust's "dark charcoal" preset.

#8) Simplify's "sketch color" preset.