Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:38 PM   #11

I have no "modes" on my camera. I can set ISO, aperture, and shutter manually, plus I have exposure compensation. I'd probably have to do some playing with the settings to get the right effect. Film SLR's are all essentially alike, but when it comes to digital, we're all over the place, aren't we?

Now the next hurdle is convincing myself that I "need" the IR filter, which just so happens to be relatively expensive. Let's see now...I love black & white, I did something nice for someone the other day, I really don't spend much on myself. Do you think this is enough or should I come up with more reasons?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:24 PM   #12

Default bcoultry -

Does your camera provide the ability to add or screw on filters?

If not sometimes you can purchase adapters for your camera for that purpose.

If your camera has no nightshot mode, all is not lost.

But you will still need to screw on an IR filter to your lens.

Then you will have to place your camera on a tripod. Turn on the camera and place in manual mode. At first you will not see anything thru the view finder. Just adjust your apeture to wide open. Adjust your shutter speed down, down to long exposure settings. then you should begin to see an image. You should keep reducing the shutter speed till you can see a fairly good image. It will appear red in your viewfinder because the IR filter.

Use your self timer and push the shutter button and let it take the photo. Then down load it to your computer. Going this route you may want to add more red or blue or green to your image. then convert it to black & white and there you might want to adjust the contrast.

This method will take some experimenting by you till you can achieve the correct black & white image you like. Then sharpen and file it away or print it out.

It is a learning process so do not get tired. It takes time. I've been doing it for several years. Try and try and try again.

It does help if you have a camera with nightshot mode which I found out greatly simplifies the process.
jackb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:34 PM   #13

If you tell me what the actual settings are when your camera is in night mode, it could give me a head start...maybe. I mean, your night mode must be composed of familiar settings for aperture, shutter speed, etc. Can you look at the exif information of, for instance, the above photo?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:43 PM   #14

nice image

I take it you like the hoya r72 filter? I've been going back and forth over getting the hoya r72 or the b&w IR filter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:19 PM   #15

Default bcoultry

I could tell you every setting for each of my IR photos. but each one is different.

Since you do not have nightshot mode your settings will be a lot different from mine. You must follow the directions I gave you in the proceeding reply. Shooting from a tripod and using long exposure times. Just set your camera on a tripod, attach the IR filter and open the apeture all the way and then reduce the exposure time untill you can see a red image. There you can start and bracket you shots by several stops.

Also always shoot on brite sunny days.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:22 PM   #16

Default PeterP

I use the Hoya R72 IR filter and a #8 ND filter.

I think a black & white IR filter is to use with IR 35mm film.

The Hoya R72 works on many digital cameras.

Not all digital cameras can take IR photos.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Not all digital cameras can take IR photos.
So I read when I went on my mad search yesterday, but I saw some beauties done with the Oly 20N.
Quote:
I could tell you every setting for each of my IR photos
I was curious only about the one you posted here. Nevertheless, haven't you been curious, ending up looking at the exif info to see the variation in settings?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:06 AM   #18

Default bcoultry -

Here is a link to your information below the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/image/24972029

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:07 AM   #19

Yes, it did help by giving me a notion of how "slow" it might be necessary to go. For instance, my camera's lowest ISO setting is 80, so I'd likely have to compensate by slowing down the shutter speed even more if I'd been taking exactly the same picture. In the end, though, I see what you mean about your settings not being of much help to me. Different cameras and different scenes calling for different settings.

I was just playing in Photoshop with simulated infrared:

One thing I noticed while testing photo after photo is that a good amount of green in the original is needed, but over a certain amount, and the results are unacceptable. There also needs to be the right amount of red in just the right places. Is there a similar situation when you're choosing whether or not to use an IR filter?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:55 AM   #20

Default bcoultry -

Just do not forget. In shooting infrared or converting other images in your program, shooting on a very brite sunny day works best.