Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I've actually been contemplating a mini photographic tour of European cathedrals. I've never been to St Peter's, Vatican and that is a must. I have been many years ago to both Cologne and Chartres and want to go back with a camera. Any other particular suggestions?
Well... at the moment there is a lot of maintenance/reconstruction going on, but if you are looking for the oldest gothic cathedral in Germany add Magdeburg to your list.

While you are here, you should also do the short walk to the Monastary of Our Lady (and yes - I like the "Notre Dame" churches/cathedrals etc.) and St. Johns Church.

I was in Strasbourg last week and there is a nice Cathedral, too. I posted some pictures here at Steve's, be my guest: Cathedral Notre Dame Strasbourg

Further reading:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Magdeburg
- http://www.magdeburg-tourist.de/index.phtml?mNavID=698.47&sNavID=698.47&La=2

Kind regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:44 AM   #22

Thank you, Th, peterbj7, JeannieBug for the wonderful compliments and very interesting links.

I did some further reading and learned that the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is the fourth largest church building in the world. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_church_buildings_in_the_world wikipedia.org)

#13) It was begun in 1892 to rival the Roman Catholic Saint Patrick’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue pictured below.

Picture #8 which I incorrectly labeled as maybe a relic from WTC and reproduce below, is actually an FDNY Memorial "originally conceived to honor 12 firefighters killed in 1966" and has evolved "into a moving tribute to the 343 firefighting heroes killed on September 11, 2001". (source: nytimes.com)

Indeed, pillars on the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, author of the Book of Revelation, were inscribed in 1997 with occultist symbolisms that may have prophesied the apocalypse of the World Trade Center -- at least according to The Vigilant Citizen.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
Well... at the moment there is a lot of maintenance/reconstruction going on, but if you are looking for the oldest gothic cathedral in Germany add Magdeburg to your list.

While you are here, you should also do the short walk to the Monastary of Our Lady (and yes - I like the "Notre Dame" churches/cathedrals etc.) and St. Johns Church.

I was in Strasbourg last week and there is a nice Cathedral, too. I posted some pictures here at Steve's, be my guest: Cathedral Notre Dame Strasbourg

Further reading:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Magdeburg
- http://www.magdeburg-tourist.de/index.phtml?mNavID=698.47&sNavID=698.47&La=2

Kind regards,
Th.
Many thanks. Magdeburg is on another list because of its links to JS Bach - I'd like to do a pilgrimage to the places that were important to him. Strasbourg is somewhere I hadn't even thought of.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:59 PM   #24

Sublime shots from you as per usual. Love the first series, and the last night shot.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:44 PM   #25

Thank you, DyaneG.

#14) Not really St. John the Divine -- I've posted all that I took of the Cathedral -- but corner of Broadway and 62nd when I walked back towards midtown.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:30 PM   #26

Great series...HDR is perfect for inside shots of a church !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #27

Thanks, Marawder. I agree, as Bynx once said, churches are made for HDR.

#15) Lincoln Center steps, taken the same day.