Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

Default looking for some panoramas to print

Hi

I am the rather proud owner of a new i9100 and would like to try the panorama feature. However, I don't have any really nice panoramas to print and with the cost of the paper, I really don't want to print my unispired stuff. I was wondering (hoping) someone would provide me a link or even email some high resolution panoramas to practice printing with. If they turn out really nice, I intend to frame them and display them in my house. I am not going to sell them or anything like that. Just for my personal use. If anyone would like to help me out, I would be indebted. I seen many nice panoramas posted in various places on this site and was hoping someone with some bandwidth could send me one or two. Thanks in advance.

Tim Gangloff

s400, i9100 and some other stuff
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:33 PM   #2

Here is a search result from pbase. http://www.pbase.com/search?q=panorama

Go to ďoriginalĒ under the size. Some of them are enormous. Example: http://www.pbase.com/image/9774599 Make sure you have your IE preferences set to not resize the picture or you wonít know whether they are large enough for a big panorama print after you select the original size. You should have scroll bars after you select the picture if IE is set correctly.

Should be able to find something in the 500 panos it shows.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:50 PM   #3

Default thanks...

I was beginning to think no one was going to help me.

Tim G
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:11 PM   #4

Default thanks again

I just had a look around the site and there are lots to choose from. I Should be able to find something good to test the printer with. thanks again for the tip!

Tim G
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:56 PM   #5

Glad I could help.

Go out and start taking some panos with your Canon. With just a little practice you can align them almost perfectly handheld.

I use the optical finder on my little Oly which shows only 85% of the image. If I align the edges perfectly there is enough overlap to stitch in the Oly software. I take most of my panos with the camera held vertically. Your optical finder shows even a little less than my Oly (82%) so I would think your Canon software would stitch with the edges aligned. Panorama factory requires more overlap so I never registered it. No problem using more overlap for a real pano, but I often use two shots taken vertically to make up for not having a wide angle lens and I want as little overlap as possible when I do that.

Since the pano mode on the camera uses the focus and exposure for the first shot for all subsequent shots, pre focus on something in the pano that seems to represent the average lighting. Sophisticated pano software can even out the exposure, but most panos do fine with my software that doesnít if I plan the shot.

I donít do as well trying to use the LCD for panos. It is harder to get the angles and alignment right unless you use a tripod. My big cameras have EVFs and I have to pay more attention to the overlap, but alignment is still easier than using the LCD. The real pano garus use a tripod, but they are usually stacking both vertically and horizontally. I need a tripod if I do that. And you need a tripod with a pano head to do well with a tripod.

I would want my own panos on the wall. One nice thing about digital cameras is that it is cheap to practice and you get almost instant feedback when you stitch them.

I have an S9000 BTW and get some great panos. I have a problem you donít in that I have to set up for dual boot as the S9000 will not do a pano in XP Ė known problem that Canon says they have no intention of fixing since you are using a workaround in Win98. I think Iíll wait for the next wide format from Canon with the i960 heads before I upgrade. If ink costs run you out of house and home the tanks are easy to refill. Inkjet Goodies seems to be the preferred ink over at dpreview and I have had good luck with it. You have to profile for non-Canon inks and paper though. There are some profiles linked on the printers forum at dpreview if you do a search.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:46 PM   #6

I would agree and think you must have some great opportunities to make your own panoramas. The university must have a lot of possible pano shots. A quadrangle, a clock or bell tower. Personally, I'd love to get a bunch of shots during a UT-Florida game in Neyland stadium with all of that orange. I've done a couple panos from sporting events and plan to try more as I go (I use Elements 2 on my PowerBook)

I almost forgot to mention that what little I know from driving through Knoxville is that the mountains are beautiful and I think would make a great pano as well.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote