Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:56 PM   #11

Thank you, schmintan, Torgny, mainak.

Torgny, my friend said we were lucky we came at that time of day because she has never seen it lit that way before.

#13)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:34 PM   #12

Default mountaindale high school

I found your site while doing a search for the Mountaindale I remember. my family went to several bungalow colonies in the area when I was a child. That was in the sixties and seventies, long after the high school closed. I noticed something fascinating in your photo of what looked like an auditorium in the high school. Did you see the Magen David, or jewish star, engraved into the side of one of the benches? I think these are the type of benches one used to find in synagogues, or shuls. I wonder how these benches found their way into the high school. what do you think?
maple muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 9:43 PM   #13

Hi, maple_muffin. Sorry for this late reply -- I just found your reply earlier today.

Yes, I noticed the Star of David on the benches. My friend who now owns the building, a long time resident of Mountaindale (not sure but she might have grown up there), is Jewish. The area has a good size Jewish population so probably at one time or other the Jewish community donated benches. Just a guess.

It's really interesting to find you here. You might even know my friend, Barb Schmitt.

#14) The Living Torah Museum in the nearby hamlet of Hurleyville, I think, which is in the same town of Fallsburg as the hamlet of Mountaindale.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:10 AM   #14

what a fabulous picture- thanks for sharing it.
also- i recently emailed you, but received no reply- may I reprint one of your photos (Main Street Mountaindale) with an article I am writing on childhood Mountaindale summers, if I credit you and your website?
Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks so much!
Old May 17, 2012, 4:38 AM   #15

Hi, maple_muffin. Yes, you may freely use my Mountaindale pictures (blushing). However, I do not remember receiving your e-mail (it may have gone to spam? -- I'll check). Thank you for asking.

EDIT: I'd be interested in knowing when you finish the article, and if it is going to be available online. My friend writes a Mountaindale blog of her own (http://mountaindalenews.blogspot.com/) and I was (ahem) featured there once or twice.

Last edited by vvcarpio; May 17, 2012 at 7:45 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:32 PM   #16

Default Abandoned High School in Mountaindale, NY

Billy, it's so thrilling to see the great results of that photo tour! Your skill with HDR processing really brings out the magnificence of peeling paint.
To answer some of the questions I noticed in this thread, the Mountaindale School was functional until the mid 1960's, when the school district was centralized in Fallsburg, NY. This handsome WPA building was sold off as "excess" and used as a cheap warehouse by individuals who didn't properly maintain it which resulted in the interior deterioration.

Yes, it is currently being used for numerous music videos, a fashion shoot, and was featured in a YouTube video as the Haunted Schoolhouse during a Mountaindale community event one Halloween. The exterior grounds offer several murals, a Metal Art Sculpture Garden with works by the late Peter Mott, a meditation Labyrinth, and the Sandburg Creek RiverWalk.

I hope you will all visit us in charming Mountaindale, NY and that Maple_Muffin might be inspired to post some recollections in our other blog, Mountaindale Living History.
MountaindaleNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 3:13 PM   #17

Hi, Barb. It's a wonderful treat to see you here -- thanks for the compliments! My frequenting Mountaindale has made me discover many beautiful places to photograph in the area.

#15) Barn on Church Road in Mountaindale. This is actually just outside of town. You can get close to the barn as Church Road runs adjacent to its side. But Barb showed me a better shot further up Church Road from where this shot is taken.

#16) Toy train in Mountaindale commemorates the NY O&W (Ontario and Western) # 33 train which came to a crash in Mountaindale in 1904.

#17) Also in the town of Fallsburg where the hamlet of Mountaindale is located is this falls on Old Falls Road.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:24 PM   #18

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that the article with your photo of Mountaindale is slated to appear June 25th, but there is no online version of the magazine. If you send me your mailing address, I can send you a copy. or, if you want me to email a pdf to you, please send me an email address and i will aske the editors to make one available to me. Thanks again!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:07 AM   #19

Some great stuff Billy. Id love to get into that abandoned school. I like the touches of some of the rooms, like the curtains hanging in the auditorium, or the half roll of toilet paper in the john or the soap dispensers and mirror in the washroom.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:39 PM   #20

You're welcome, maple muffin -- and thanks! I sent you private message.

Hi, Paul -- thanks! Yes the abandoned schoolhouse is a joy to photograph. Barb is a real friend for letting me in among other things she's done.

#18)