Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:28 PM   #11

Been actually moving allot of stuff back to germany from the US. So that has been taking allot of my time. Have a ton of home projects my wifey wants done around the house in Germany. So I had to ship 90% of my tools back to germany in may. So I have been busy with putting down new flooring, building my barbecue area. Just been enjoying the areas around Frankfurt and New York. Visited Mexico and that was about all for this year.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:59 AM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Well, that's a lot and there are a few months left to go. I found this picture in a folder. It, at 17 mm on a FF camera, still with my back leaning at the door behind
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:10 PM   #13

I like this one allot better, good symmetry no only if the right door did not have the yellow warning sticker on it.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:10 PM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I like this one allot better, good symmetry no only if the right door did not have the yellow warning sticker on it.
Et votre opinion de Les Jardins de Tuileries?
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Last edited by Torgny; Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:39 AM   #15

Good set, I like the idea of shooting everything in symmetry for a photo project.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Good set, I like the idea of shooting everything in symmetry for a photo project.

If one thinks about it - symmetry is more of a rule than an exception, both in nature and in buildings. Perhaps there is a "crass" explanation - it's more economic

Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:21 PM   #17

Dennis Bloodworth, in The Chinese Looking-Glass wrote that the one time his Chinese wife said "Barbarians!" with feeling was when she observed the elaborately geometrical gardens of a Renaissance palace.

Symmetry, in the bilateria, is mostly the consequence of a head going one way, and a tail leaving things behind. In the world of HOX genes and cellular destiny, symmetry is easier.

But nature likes to break it in various ways. Coiled shells are right or left-handed, depending on species. We can only use L-forms of amino acids. Our brains are only superficially symmetrical. Fiddler crabs violate symmetry grandly.

Last edited by The Barbarian; Jul 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:24 PM   #18

That last shot of the arches has awesome shadows. I like the entire series.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenww View Post
That last shot of the arches has awesome shadows. I like the entire series.
Yes, it's a bit special. You really must have a wide angle lens to cover it. An idea would be to follow the shadows on a high summer day

//T

Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
Dennis Bloodworth, in The Chinese Looking-Glass wrote that the one time his Chinese wife said "Barbarians!" with feeling was when she observed the elaborately geometrical gardens of a Renaissance palace.

Symmetry, in the bilateria, is mostly the consequence of a head going one way, and a tail leaving things behind. In the world of HOX genes and cellular destiny, symmetry is easier.

But nature likes to break it in various ways. Coiled shells are right or left-handed, depending on species. We can only use L-forms of amino acids. Our brains are only superficially symmetrical. Fiddler crabs violate symmetry grandly.

The Barbarian,

Thanks for your elaboration on the theme. See if I can get hold of that book

Yes, part of the Chinese and Japanese cultures do find deviations from symmetry to be necessary, as I understand it. Nothing exists when not confronted with its opposite

The Arabs' holy book Koran says only God can make perfect things so a carpet weaver may weave in a fault if he suspects the result may be too good; not to offend God

As I recall it

Torgny

Btw: what worried people of the renaissance about Nature to the extent that they couldn't keep their fingers from it

Last edited by Torgny; Jul 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM.