Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:51 AM   #1

Default "New Yorker"

Dragged my wife out again This time to get the New Yorker Hotel sign and the Empire State Building together. I was all setup just at the end of blue hour I was hoping to get a slightly brighter sky. Might have tio head back out and retake the shot. BTW the Empire State Building was lit up in honor of the New York Road Runners and the 2013 ING NYC Marathon.

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Last edited by cmoy; Feb 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM.
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2

Very cool shot. I agree that about 10 to 20 minutes after sunset would have added more color in the sky but this ones nice. What direction are you shooting? I find that shooting towards the east just after sunset gives you a nice magenta/blue sky.
Nice thought out composition and a good effort to capture what you visioned.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:20 AM   #3

Thanks lomitamike! I was aiming right towards the east at around 6:25. I think 6:00 would have been perfect! I first time saw this composition was from a bus coming back from Jersey at the on ramp of the Port Authority Always wanted to get a photo of it. Last weekend my wife and I was leaving the photo expo at the Javits Center and we saw the comp again but on land this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Very cool shot. I agree that about 10 to 20 minutes after sunset would have added more color in the sky but this ones nice. What direction are you shooting? I find that shooting towards the east just after sunset gives you a nice magenta/blue sky.
Nice thought out composition and a good effort to capture what you visioned.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4

I can relate to exactly what you just described when you say that you saw the composition from the bus. I've had the exact same experience while driving by, hiking and even on occasion driving away from a shoot and just don't feel like stopping right then telling myself that I'll come back another time. It's funny how you see things as a composition when you get into photography. Sometimes I go long periods of time before I come to a place where I see it. That's one of the great things about having photography as an interest. It gets you out there.
Hope you find your next shot soon.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:58 PM   #5

Beautiful capture, I love the deep blue sky.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:55 PM   #6

I got lazy and haven't gone back to retake the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I can relate to exactly what you just described when you say that you saw the composition from the bus. I've had the exact same experience while driving by, hiking and even on occasion driving away from a shoot and just don't feel like stopping right then telling myself that I'll come back another time. It's funny how you see things as a composition when you get into photography. Sometimes I go long periods of time before I come to a place where I see it. That's one of the great things about having photography as an interest. It gets you out there.
Hope you find your next shot soon.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:56 PM   #7

Thanks Marcelo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Beautiful capture, I love the deep blue sky.

Marcelo