Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:53 AM   #1

Default Brooklyn Bridge Park

I haven't had much time for photography. When I had the chance to go shooting last week I grabbed my tilt shift lens I need more practice with it. I have only used it 3 time including this outing Hopefully I'll get more free time soon. Both were taken with the 5D MK III and 17mm TS-E f/4 L.

This is an HDR. Not great but I like the sunburst

This one is composed of about 13 images with the lens shifted to the max in all directions. I merged and processes it in LR CC.
f/10
20 sec
ISO 100
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:40 AM   #2
conor

I'm loving this HDR. There are a few spots that border on "cartoony", at least from my perspective, but it's definitely top-tier execution! Nice work!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks Conor! I need to work on my HDR's. I need to go out and shoot more to practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
I'm loving this HDR. There are a few spots that border on "cartoony", at least from my perspective, but it's definitely top-tier execution! Nice work!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:10 PM   #4
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoy View Post
Thanks Conor! I need to work on my HDR's. I need to go out and shoot more to practice!
Me too! hahaha! Some people have the eye, I do *not*.

After giving this some thought, I think it's only the grass that "got taken too far", but only in that the grass doesn't really fit with the city in the background... It feels like two photos; two ideas. The bridge as a focal point with the city in the background, OR the grass as a focal point with the city in the background.

To illustrate what I mean, try cropping the top of the shot off, at roughly where the bridge's pillar bisects the road surface, OR try cropping the bottom off, at the top edge of the grass on the left side. I like each of the results better than the original, my eye flows more comfortably with the scene...

Don't get me wrong, I love the detail you were able to extract, I'm just not sure that all aspects of the scene fit with the scene....

Last edited by conor; Apr 20, 2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:13 PM   #5

The second image isn't HDR. It was 13 shots stitched to a pano. I see what you mean. Too much grass LOL I need to get a hold of all this new real estate I have and compose better next time. It's a lot to take in for one image.

Quote:
Me too! hahaha! Some people have the eye, I do *not*.

After giving this some thought, I think it's only the grass that "got taken too far", but only in that the grass doesn't really fit with the city in the background... It feels like two photos; two ideas. The bridge as a focal point with the city in the background, OR the grass as a focal point with the bridge in the background.

Don't get me wrong, I love the detail you were able to extract, I'm just not sure that all aspects of the scene fit with the scene....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:20 PM   #6
conor

Quote:
The second image isn't HDR. It was 13 shots stitched to a pano.
Oh, then wow.

How'd you manage the dynamic range? I wouldn't have expected you could get so many details in the shadows (the detail on the underside of the bridge) without HDR here...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:22 PM   #7

I was surprised as well! I brought up the shadows to almost +100 in LR and drop the highlights to -100. This usually will give me a HDR-ish look. I do get a lot of noise but LR cleans it up pretty well.

Quote:
Oh, then wow.

How'd you manage the dynamic range? I wouldn't have expected you could get so many details in the shadows (the detail on the underside of the bridge) without HDR here...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:23 PM   #8
conor

Quote:
I was surprised as well! I brought up the shadows to almost +100 in LR and drop the highlights to -100. This usually will give me a HDR-ish look. I do get a lot of noise but LR cleans it up pretty well.
That makes sense.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:25 PM   #9

This time I didn't pump up the contrast as much as usual to get ride of the HDR-ish look. Maybe I will add some more contrast and see what happens.

Quote:
That makes sense.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:12 PM   #10

Man, I like your photo's. You compose them just right.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote