Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:25 AM   #1

any comments?
Attached Images

clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 1:23 PM   #2

Hi Clem,

I think the blues of the sky make a very nice contrast with the red of the lighthouse.

I guess personally I would prefer the building on the right hand side cropped out, (& theobject next to it too.)Also, if you did try that out,a narrower border might be nicer, if that's to your taste.

I think the colour changes in the sky work very well here.

Best wishes,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

I would agree that the storage shed should be cropped out, especially since it is crooked anyway. Also, the whole image does need to be rotated slightly when cropped to make the tower upright.

I would keep the anchor at the base of the tower in the shot as it helps excentuate the nautical theme.
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:09 AM   #4

what about now? i thought that the shed would show that the lighthouse was not a solitary building.

Attached Images

clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:46 PM   #5

That's much better. As for the shed being in the pic because it is part of the lighthouse, that's fine as lighthouses usually have other buildings with it (keeper's quarters, storage sheds, etc). However in the case of your original photo the shed was cut off, so it's not visually appealing, and the crookedness of it didn't help matters. The second posting is much better and more appealing.

Just to show you that I have nothing against outbuildings, here is a photo I took of the Cape Neddick Light in York, Maine, USA. Of course, in this case the light is inaccessible to the public and must be photographed over a reach of water, so usually the entire grounds are captured in the many photos taken of this landmark. However, if one wanted, the tower could be photographed separately with a zoom, but the overall character of this familiar light would be lost. Also the tower is not physically detached from the rest of the lighthouse, so it would possibly look awkward anyway, having something extending out of frame from it.

I think your photo nicely portrays the feeling of solitude that one may conjure up when thinking of lighthouses. In some cases they are isolated and in remote areas.
Attached Images

StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:24 AM   #6

Hi Clem,

I like the newer version too.

I may be completely wrong about this, but I guess I saw your pic. purely in terms design, rather than in terms of being a realistic description of a particular lighthouse. I could see it as gift card...with 2 strong marine icons - lighthouse & anchor. If youhad wanted to use it in aphoto-journalismcontext, you might well have wanted to include the surrounding buildings to show the "bigger picture", or accompany the cropped pic with other, more descriptive pix.

I'm off for a coffee.....

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote