Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old May 28, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1

This abandoned house is in Shaniko, Oregon. Shaniko was once known as "The Wool Capitol of the World" and was a thriving railhead community in the early 20th century. There are presently only about 25 residents and most of the old buildings are being rebuilt as tourist attractions.

Bill

Attached Images

BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2

Bill, When we were in Shaniko, we looked for this house but never found it. Do you remember where it is?

I'll post an album of some of my shots on Photobucket in the next couple days.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:54 AM   #3

Cal,

This house is on the northeast side of town on the east side of Hwy 97. It is directly across the road from the end of 6th st. The large school (the one being renovated as a school) is at 6th andd st. The water tower is one block westat 6th and c st.

Looking forward to seeing your album.

Bill
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4

I must have driven right by it. The last things we saw before heading to Madras were the schoolhouse and a tall wood planked building that I thought might be a granary. That may be the water tank you were referring to. I'll try to get my pictures up tonight. I have posted some pictures of Stonehenge you might be interested in.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:47 PM   #5

Cal,

The wood planked building is the water tower but the top half is missing. I don't know if it has fallen down or has been taken apart pending restoration. I am going to try to get back there later this summer when I can spend more time exploring.

Bill
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:33 AM   #6

Excellent photo. You were here on a nice day for photos. We live directly across the highway from the abandoned home. Sadly there are fewer and fewer of these buildings left in town. Come back the first weekend in August for 'Shaniko Days' celebration. It starts with a parade in the morning and lasts through a street dance at night. Several entertainers and street vendors will be here too.

I am a re-enactor, not the real law. You will see us doingshootouts, arresting some folks and putting them in jail.

Byron, the Waterman

aka Shaniko Lawman

Shaniko Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote