Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:07 AM   #1

An abandoned commercial building (built near the turn of the century) - shot in downtown Hamilton, Ontario (Canada)

The building has recently been purchased by the city for redevelopment and will soon be gutted and rebuilt.

S.K.
Attached Images

SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:09 PM   #2

A very interesting find. It presents some interesting opportunities for photography. Sometimes there are really fascinating spots literally under our noses. I hope you can get something more before the building is torn down.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

By the way... the shot itself - I love the mood... and the green drum positioned almost perfectly under the light. If you had planned it (did you?) it couldn't have been better.
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:30 AM   #3

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
A very interesting find.* It presents some interesting opportunities for photography. Sometimes there are really fascinating spots literally under our noses. I hope you can get something more before the building is torn down.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

By the way... the shot itself - I love the mood... and the green drum positioned almost perfectly under the light. If you had planned it (did you?) it couldn't have been better.
Thanks...

The green drum in the background was purely fluke, and to be honest I barely took notice of it at the time I took the shot. Only afterwards when I did some minor editing did I realize how it seem`d to stand out rather starkly.

Appreciate the comments :-)

S.K.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:03 PM   #4

A few more shots taken in the Lister Block building of Hamilton, Ont.

Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:14 AM   #5

I'm originally from yer neck of the woods and Great shots I must say...If you ever have time could you possibly get a shot of the skyway bridge with the CN Tower in the background...lol...alot to ask huh..but a pic of the bridge would be awesome....I really miss Ontario
By the way was that taken near Jackson square?
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:29 AM   #6

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
I'm originally from yer neck of the woods and Great shots I must say...If you ever have time could you possibly get a shot of the skyway bridge with the CN Tower in the background...lol...alot to ask huh..but a pic of the bridge would be awesome....I really miss Ontario
By the way was that taken near Jackson square?
A shot of the skyway bridge with the CN Tower in the background would be logistically difficult - since the bridge is in Hamilton and the CN Tower is in Toronto.

As for Lister Block being near Jackson Square, I'm not too sure...unfortunately I'm not overly familiar with Hamilton (I'm navigationally challenged, heh).

S.K.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:22 PM   #7

Your right on that one but if you notice when looking across the bridge coming into Hamilton you'll notice the tower off in the distance on the left weather and smog permitting that is , I always look for this view when crossing but taking the picture could prove to be difficult as you would have to take flight to get both in the picture I think....lol.... or sit atop a smoke stack at Stelco...lol
Could I con you into a shot of the bridge at any point in time though ? when my wife came to get me in Canada she slept through the bridge crossing.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:18 PM   #8

Have admired your first shot elsewhere, but am back to drool over the third one. The big blob of light and it's reflections, plus the slashes of light on the walls, are stunning....especially against that background.

I think this is avery exciting pic .

Caroline
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:25 PM   #9

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Have admired your first shot elsewhere, but am back to drool over the third one.** The big blob of light and it's reflections, plus the slashes of light on the walls, are stunning....especially against that background.

I think this is a*very exciting pic .

Caroline
Thanks Caroline. I had my daughter walk slowly down the hall shining the flashlight in an arc as she walked, and I went with a 30-sec exposure to capture the streaks. The blob in the centre is just her standing still waving the flashlight around.

S.K.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:37 AM   #10

You're brilliant SK - I'll have to give that style/technique a try. Thanks for the timing info, what ap'ture settings.

NB Hi Caroline, fancy meeting you here.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote