Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM   #1

Preserved town from the gold-mine days. With a population of 600-700 people, Virginia City sits on top of the Nevada hills in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:13 AM   #4

The old school building
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:15 AM   #5

Old house
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:37 AM   #6

All are very nice, indeed, Tullio. Somehow you have managed to convey us your sympathy (maybe, even some catharsis!) for these lovely edifices at the time of your shooting. Yet I have a slightest feeling that you were in a hurry, for the first thee ones were not fit into the frame, as we spectators expect to see!! And I thought cursed the obstructing wires and poles. In the fourth picture it was inevitable perhaps, because you wouldn't prefer to shoot against the strong morning sun by trying a view from the left, and besides you would be missing the portico if you preferred the other side of the building.
And for the last shot I found it very much humane. I suggest you trying some alternative crops from the original. For example adding a bit foreground, a slightest crop off from left and adding some more vertical sight. Well,as in the case of arranging a bunch of flowers, there has never been a firm formula... :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

Thanks for your comments, bahadir. Here's the problem. Those first three buildings sit on a very narrow street that has a very strong inclination. So, the combination of the two factors is deadly because there is not enough room from across the street to obtain a good shot of them. Add to that the fact that cars are parked everywhere and wires are all over,and it becomes impossible to get a picture that reflects the old days without much interferencefrom the modern days facts (cars and electricity). So, I tried to crop as muchof these interferences as possible but still leave enough for the viewer to have an idea of theold architecture. Itried to straighten some out but the angle was so strong thatthe photoslost too sharpness. I can post the originals for you to have an idea of what they look like. I definitely think I could have done a better job photographing the school building. That my friend, was indeed a shot taken in a hurry. This building is located right at the beginning of the city. I stopped to take the picture as I was leaving. Afteralmost three hours of walking around, the two kids I had in the car did not like the stop, reason for the rush.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:41 AM   #8

I would definitely welcome the chance of seeing the originals, Tullio. And a bit of information about your last shot,old house,which I found to bear great potential and had suggested some arrangements about.
I'd say, you have always taken shots of places you have been, that I wish I had seen.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:50 PM   #9

Hi bahadir, here are photos #1-3 uncropped...

Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:53 PM   #10

Attached Images