Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:19 AM   #11

Someday... (sigh)
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:44 AM   #12

Hi bahadir, very nice picture indeed.Although thecolor saturation seems a bit too high, I like warm tones so it workswell for me. I also find the architecture to be very interesting. My only criticism is with regards to your shadow on the steps as you weretaking the picture. I think if you had stepped back a few feet, the shadow would not be there.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:12 AM   #13

Nice to see you around, Tullio. I think you were off until a few days ago!
Believe me, the camera could barely capture what was there in front of me. The sun seemed to set the warm colours on fire! And for the shadow, I just wasn't in a mood to realise it at the time of shooting. Maybe I should have clonned it out after having seen it on the monitor.
Thank you for dropping a few lines for the photo.
B.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:51 AM   #14

Great shot again Bahadir. I too love that time of day when things turn red.

From your posts I am also learning something about ancient history too. The subject really fascinates me. Also, you seem the perfect person to ask something that has puzzled me for quite a long time.... I spent some time in Cyprus as a child and remember the "temples/arenas" in Kyrenia on the Turkish side. I noticed that many of the beautiful ancient statues had had their faces carved out for some reason at some stage. It seems that most of the ancient statues and artifacts had been left intact, except that is for the facial disfigurement. It has puzzled me ever since why this was done. Hoping you can help.

I have quite a few of my late fathers transparancies of these, but alas don't have a transparancy scanner yet.

Regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:18 PM   #15

I've been both busy and sick, so I'm trying to catch up. I know what you mean by not realizing your shadow was there. I've taken hundreds of picturesthat my shadow holding the camera spoiled. So, I've became very self-conscious about it (and it also became something that really catches my eyes, reason whyI commented on it). Nevertheless, I thinkit's a wonderful capture. Great job!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:01 PM   #16

Hi, Syd. Thanks for your credits for me, I hope I do not bend under them:-)
First of all, you were a lucky kid who had been to the place where Aphrodite was born. (And, after many hundered centuries, from the very place, there came Anna Vissi with such a sweet voice! )
Such visits to antique sites, during one's infancy, has a crucial impact in one's imagination, I believe. Both my children were able to distinguish a temple from an ancient theater when they were around three.
It will be difficult of course to comment on the type of damage without seeing it for myself. Some are related with
smuggling, some insanity and some ideology(the iconoclastic period in Byzantine history, as an example of monotheistic religions' acts). Yet, I am sensitive enough to curse any kind of intentional damage regardless of reason. I do not think you are intending to compare the conditions of the statues in the Turkish territory to the Greek territory. Because both territories were under the rule of the Ottoman Empire from 1517 to 1878 when the Island was rented to Britain who promised the Ottomans their support in the battle between the Ottoman empire and Russia. And you may know the rest of the rest of the story after Britain claimed the Island with the official start of World WarI in 1914...
I would be delighted to see those transparancies. I think that even some inexpensive Epson flatbad photo scanners such as 3170 can handle this job.

And thank you Tullio. I fear that I am inclined to turn a post into a History Channel broadcast like the one above in my reply to dear Syd.
I am happy again to receive another reply from you, which I was deprived of during your brief absance. Yet I followed your performance in the Weekly Photo Challange section even in your absance.
I hope you have recovered and feeling allright :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:55 PM   #17

I remember now my father telling my brother and I in that very place the story of Aphrodite and how she was born out of the sea. I believe this was the temple of Aphrodite we visited. I also remember this place felt full of residual energy.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:35 AM   #18

Thanks for you kind words, bahadir. I'm not 100% yet, but getting there. The challenge forum is fun. I wish I knew about it sooner. Thanks for the heads up, though. I also like this forum but it seems slower than others for some odd reason. I haven't had a chance to go out and take some pictures lately. I'm playing with my Sony 1.7x tele converter but nothing worth posting as yet. I'm also waiting for a Sony close-up lens I ordered a few days ago. Hopefully between the two I'll be able to come up with some decent shots I can post for comments. Cheers!