Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1

G'day all,

took this pic tonight on the way home, didn't have my tripod with me so it is hand held with a slightly longer than I wanted exposure time. Damn hands shake too much too easily. It is a pic of the Hadleys Hotel here in Hobart. I think it has been around for like a 100 years or so. Or maybe only 70. Can't remember to be honest. But nice place inside and out.

Tell me what you think

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

Regarding the relatively long exposure time of 1/13sec,that's a successful photo for a handheld shot. One can enjoy night vision of the richly decorated facade enhanced by the illumination, which is very likely to bear many a gaze of different moods within its nearly century old history you mention.
I cannot read the Iso value but as it is a DSLR camera(plus a Nikon!), I think you could safely raise it as high as 800 for a decent shutter speed enough for handheld shot without suffering much of a noise issue.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:47 AM   #3

G'day Bahadir,

thanks for the comments. Yes taking shots handheld for me, especially at night is a frustrating excercise. Except if I have my tripod along that is. So I got pretty lucky with this shot. I have 3 other shots of the same subject that weren't as good and also from slightly different angles.

There are quite a few buildings around Hobart with the same early century architecture that I should go and shoot sometime.

Ollie
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:09 AM   #4

G'day Ollie,

Good capture, hand held at night ....fantastic....there's hope for me yet!
rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:13 PM   #5

Nice photo. The warm light is very appealing.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:42 AM   #6

G'day all,

thanks for the replies.

I think at the time of the shot it was the warmth of the place that caught my eye. I also found out it isn't 70 years old. In fact it was est. in 1834. So just a little longer than 70years.

Rubadub....dude if you have a steady hand then you should be ok. My hands do actually shake a fair bit at time due to nerves I think or too much caffine. I really want a stabilizer of some sort but my first toy will be a macro lense I think.

Ollie