Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:05 PM   #1

Another house which reminds me of once dazziling Laventine life in Izmir.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2

What a great house! When was it built?
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:05 AM   #3

Thank you for your kind interest, Drewaz.
Since this building is not considered among the historically significant ones, and thus due to no informative plate at the entrance, etc., I do not have accurate information about its history for the moment.And tales are various! Nevertheless I believe that it must remain from 1890's or early 1900's.
Some years ago it was being used as the adminstrative building of a governmental office but not anymore. At that time I saw its interior which was even more impressive than its exterior with an impessive stairs with massive, stylish handrailing, a glass dome of ceiling light, almost lifesize portraits,and, you know, smell of melancholy enshrouding the days of glamour...
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:40 PM   #4

thanks for the info. you live in a beautiful area .... hope to venture that way one of these days
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:12 AM   #5

Thank you for your kind words, Drewaz. And about your venture on which you have already provided some very promising evidence: ... So I should hope :-)
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:34 PM   #6

Really interesting house Bahadir! It has a lot of character. Sort of big and intimidating, yetwarm and inviting....I just dontknowhow to put it into words.

Now you said: "Since this building is not considered among the historically significant ones." Have you taken any pictures of any of those "significant ones?" I'm curious as of what they might look like.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:34 AM   #7

Kaspian, thank you for your kind words from which one can feel your profound perception for such delicate matters.
As for your request, to give an idea here's a quick one, a slightly improved version of a photo I had earlier posted here.
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:08 AM   #8

Thanks for the picture Bahadir! You can definitely see the amount of history behind the buildings. I love the architectural design of them. For instance, on the building to the right each of the 4 rows of windows is different from all the other ones in shape and size. The first row of windows at the bottom are small squares. The row above it is "tall" rectangular shaped with bars on the front. Above those you have arched windows with "balcony" fronts. And the very top one you have rectangle shape window with a frame within it. Also, on the top 2 rows you have different window shapes within the rows. Look at the far left and right of the rows and you'll see the difference in the window shape from the ones in the middle within the same row. Also the "gazebo" looking thing at the front of the building (assuming thats the front of it) brings a different type of shape in to the picture.

Very interesting picture and structures Bahadir! Thank you again!
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:40 PM   #9

As you have noticed these early 20th century buildings with their eclectic architecture display amazing variety even on the same edifice. Your minute observation reveals your adoration for the lives and beauties of bygone times.
On my account, I simply get stuck to an old photo especially if I see people in them along with the meaningful and beautiful historical architecture. Some photos even bear the name of the photographer but no exif of course!! Here's a photo of the building you observed thoroughly. I wish I could present a better one. And again, we are not able to see the exif :-)
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:44 AM   #10

Hi,

I love the warmth and charm that old buildings have. The new buildings and house are functional, but don't have the warmth and charm. Great shots. :-)

bluwing(Rudy)
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote