Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:25 AM   #1

Not a palace or exotic location but an interesting piece of architecure none the less. These fishing stages are becoming scarce and many are falling into disrepair. Ironically as they deteriorate they become more 'photogenic'
Attached Images

joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:26 AM   #2

Another fishing stage in the morning fog.
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:39 AM   #3

Hello Joe! These are cool, I have never heard of fishing stages. Can you share more info on how they were used, were they rented out to people like vacation cottages?

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:55 AM   #4

Appreciate your interest. Fishermen build them to store their equipment such as nets, rope, anchors and other tools of the trade. Some of the stages also have elevated platforms to dry fish which are salted. No one actually lives in the shed part however I'm sure some enterprising person will begin to start renovating the sheds for tourists to stay in. They are scattered along the coastline in fishing or abondoned fishing communities. The falling down ones have a certain appeal as they represent a past and more simple era and become sort of a metaphor for a changing society. I think in some parts of the world they are also referred to as fishing lofts. From the Dictonary of Newfoundland English (which is online):
stage
n Cp OED ~ sb 4 f 'platform and other apparatus for drying fish' (1535-), DAE (1633-), DC 1 Nfld (1620-) for sense 1; for comb in sense 2: DAE ~ room (1628,1713).
1 An elevated platform on the shore with working tables, sheds, etc, where fish are landed and processed for salting and drying, and fishing gear and supplies are stored; FISHING STAGE.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:11 AM   #5

Funny how some additional things come to mind after you hit the SEND button. Fishing stages are owned by individual fishemen and their families. They often have wood stoves in them for drying gear and at least in the past were places where people would come together to work or spin/share tales. Not unlike the garage in modern day suburbia. Here is another stage but somewhat more modern at sunrise.
All the best,
Joe B.
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it! I sense we share the same fondness for old things, it seems as if our heritage is becoming less and less important to each new generation.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:01 AM   #7

Wow, these pics are really interesting, especially #1. I like shooting old buildings too, but I've never seen anything quite like these. Do fishing stages exist anywhere other than Newfoundland?
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:59 AM   #8

Good question. I would assume that where there are fisherman living along rocky coasts that they would build similar structures. Having said that I have travelled throughout Atlantic Canada and parts of the coastal USA as well as coastal Ireland and cannot recall seeing similar buildlings. Wharfs are common and sometimes a shed on them. Here they are small family affairs built often right off the family home or with others along a stretch of coastline.
Joe B.