Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:34 PM   #1

I have 2 chargers :

1/ Fuji Digicharger FNW RFR 1BXF ( its in the set with 4 batteries 2300 mah Fuji)

2/ Maxell MC-4FMHA ( its in the set with 4 batteries 2500 mah Maxell )

Can I use those chargers for charging Sanyo NiMH 2700 mah ?:|
liennd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

I have recently borrowed and used my friends 10 bay microprocessor charger from amondotech. The first thing that I noticed that was extremely convenient about the charger is that each charge channel could be used seperatly, therefore allowing me to charge any number of 10 batteries that I need to charge at a time. I also noticed that the charger itself has a built in discharge cycle that drops the batteries voltage to a certain point (I would say 1.0V) and than would recharge the battery at the same current that it discharged on (250mAh). Another plus to this charger is that after it finishes charging the batteries, it continues to supply a trickle charge to each of the batteries on the charger, therefore you can leave the batteries on the charger and grab how ever many you need off the charger that are at full capacity when you need them. I would strongly recommend this charger to people who use high capacity NIMH batteries and need to charge more than 4 at a time with each battery being charged on a seperate channel. The indicator LEDs are useful enough to tell you what the charge state is (red blinking=discharge, red solid on=charge and green solid on=trickle charge). The best part about the charger that most basic chargers from companies like energizer and duracell is that the charger can charge both NIMH and NiCd Battery types in double and triple A sizes, it is a great tool for people who use a digital camera a lot. I could say that this is a fairly nice charger for someone who uses a lot of rechargeables, but i would like in the future to see a model that has selectable charge currents for each channel, maybe if possible a charge/discharge refresh mode. Those functions would make me even happier since I know I have rechargeables that are about to die with in the next year or so and those functions can keep the batteries running for a little while longer.
Lightingguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:49 PM   #3

Hi , Lightingguy32 . Thank very much for your attention .

Answer to my question was found :

1/ It is written in websites http://www.maxell.co.jpand http://www.rakuten.co.jp : Fuji Digicharger FNW RFR 1BXF,Maxell MC-4FMHAare chargers with full chargemaintenance funtion . This mind theycana trickle charge to full capacity of NiMH batt .

2/ My practice :Last monthI bough4 NiMH batt AA Sanyo 2700 mah and used charger Maxell MC-4FMHA for charging those batt . Charging time to full is 320 min. In the manuel of charger it is written only 280 min for NiMH batt 2500 mah . Charging current is 565 ma . In the charging interval batt. are litter warm .

After finising charge I checked batt with digitall tester DT 830 B : voltage =1,398 and current ( with resister 375 om ) = 3,94 ma . This is OK: batt2700mah had been charged fully .

I filled these batt in my Canon S2 IS and taked 240 picturesplus 22 min video AVI . After that in the displaywas message " change the batteries "

Thank you again very much .
liennd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

Lightingguy32 wrote:
Quote:
I have recently borrowed and used my friends 10 bay microprocessor charger from amondotech. The first thing that I noticed that was extremely convenient about the charger is that each charge channel could be used seperatly, therefore allowing me to charge any number of 10 batteries that I need to charge at a time. I also noticed that the charger itself has a built in discharge cycle that drops the batteries voltage to a certain point (I would say 1.0V) and than would recharge the battery at the same current that it discharged on (250mAh). Another plus to this charger is that after it finishes charging the batteries, it continues to supply a trickle charge to each of the batteries on the charger, therefore you can leave the batteries on the charger and grab how ever many you need off the charger that are at full capacity when you need them. I would strongly recommend this charger to people who use high capacity NIMH batteries and need to charge more than 4 at a time with each battery being charged on a seperate channel. The indicator LEDs are useful enough to tell you what the charge state is (red blinking=discharge, red solid on=charge and green solid on=trickle charge). The best part about the charger that most basic chargers from companies like energizer and duracell is that the charger can charge both NIMH and NiCd Battery types in double and triple A sizes, it is a great tool for people who use a digital camera a lot. I could say that this is a fairly nice charger for someone who uses a lot of rechargeables, but i would like in the future to see a model that has selectable charge currents for each channel, maybe if possible a charge/discharge refresh mode. Those functions would make me even happier since I know I have rechargeables that are about to die with in the next year or so and those functions can keep the batteries running for a little while longer.

I don't think you answered the original question

"Can I use those chargers for charging Sanyo NiMH 2700 mah ?"
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:15 PM   #5

Generally speaking, you may be OK with a smart charger but not with a timed charger which will always undercharge larger capacity batteries. I say may be OK with a smart charger because it depends if it's got a safety timer just in case an imperfect battery fools the charger's end of charge (EOC) detection circuit.

For example, I have a Uniross smart charger that I've taken measurements on; it charges at 1.0A and trickle charges after EOC as long as it's powered with a pulsed 1.0A current at a duty cycle of 1sec approx in 15secs. It's also got a 2.5hr safety timer, so it should only be used with 2500mAh batteries max I would say (2.5 x 1.0 x 1000), but in practice batteries aren't usually flat when a camera has finished with them, so less than 2.5hrs would probably be enough to reach EOC, so it may just be OK with 2700mAh batteries, practice would tell the truth.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:33 PM   #6

You can always use a lower capacity charger that operates on a timer basis for higher capacity batteries.

Work out by direct proportion how much time the higher battery requires i.e. if it's 1 hour for a 2500 mAH battery, then the time for a 2700 mAH would likely be 2700/2500 x 1 which equals 65 minutes.

In this example it's hardly worth putting the charger on for 5 mins, switching it off & then allowing to time charge for 1 hour.

I use a Fameart fast charger which charges 4 AA/AAA batteries independently & I use this for batteries with capacities varying between 1300 mAH & 2300 mAH even using it to top up without the need to discharge - this intelligent charger works brilliantly.

The Fameart PC07 battery charger is ULTRA Fast 1 Hour battery charger for 1 - 4 AAA or AA rechargeable NiCd & NiMH batteries. It has an external Worldwide Switch Mode power supply and can be used with the OPTIONAL In-Car power lead making it ideal for use in the car, caravan or while on holiday.

The Fameart PC07 battery charger is an intelligent AAA & AA battery charger and has negative delta V (-dV) charge monitoring ensuring you never overcharge your batteries. This also allows you to charge batteries of different capacities and different states of charge at the same time

As the Fameart PC07 takes a 12V 500mA. input through a standard DC power connector it can be used in many different applications.

Fast charging of 1 - 4 x AA or AAA batteries.
LED charging indicator
High performance light and slim design
Bad battery detection
Trickle charge after full charge
Up to 1,000 cycles
Negative Delta V (-dV) cut off
Safety timer
4 charging slots with 4 channels so you can charge 1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries at a time.
No memory effect
Environmentally friendlier

Technical Specification
Input Voltage: 100 - 240Vac (UK Plug) or 12V DC (Optional In-Car Lead
Dimensions: 125 x 80 x 28mm
Charge Times
1800 mAh AA NiMH
1 - 4 pieces in approximately 54 mins

2000 mAh AA NiMH
1 - 4 pieces in approximately 60 mins

2100 mAh AA NiMH
1 - 4 pieces in approximately 63 mins