Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:57 PM   #1

I was surprised to find the instructions that come with the Nikon EN-EL3e recommend storing in a discharged state and charging before use, while other Li-Ion using devices advertise that their batteries are always ready to go and that includes the spare batteries.

Does anyone besides Nikon recommend discharging their Li-Ion batteries before storage?

Also, how do other Nikon DSLR users manage their batteries?

-------------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2

Advertising is just to get you to buy...
Instructions tell you how to operate and be good to your equipment...

Yup, keeping Li-ions at full charge, and not using them, wears on them

That's one of the reasons I went back to AAs and carry Alkalines for spares.

Biggest limiting factor on portable electronics is the battery.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:55 PM   #3

Store it about halfway charged and stick it in the refrigerator (but take it out and let it warm up again before using).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:23 PM   #4

The recommendation of storing Li rechargeables 40% charge at 32 F is to maximize the life of the batteries. Are you really storing the batteries? Or are you using the batteries? If you only take pictures at Christmas and July 4th then you are storing them most of the time. Follow the storage recommendations and charge them (after warming) before use. If you're taking pictures every week then you're not storing them, you're using them. In that case when you take the discharged battery out of the camera and put in the charged battery you want as much charge on that battery as you can get so fully charge it before putting it in the camera bag(I have two batteries). If I were to have only one battery I'd probably use it until the battery meter showed that I didn't have enough to be ready for my next session and then I'd charge it fully.

Finally note - there is no such thing as a rechargeable that last forever. They all have a finite life and will eventually need to be replaced.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote