Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:04 PM   #1
Default Cold Climate & Back packing???

Gosh, going to Tibet and climbing mountains. Obviously can't recharg on a regular basis. Any recommendations on a rechargable that once charged last a fair amount of time (or take quite a number of pictures before recharging). Willing to buy a couple and charge them up -will need to get 300 photos for the 2.

is this realistic or should I just buy a camera that takes lithium AA's?
maz2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:10 PM   #2

You should always take some lithium AA backupthat can deal with the cold. It's cheap, they aren't too big or weight very much. How often will you go back to Tibet?

But, to your origional question, check out:

Steves reviews battery packs along with batteries and chargers. There are battery packs which should give you a lot more than 300 on a single charge. (Of course, that is at normal tempratures.)

I don' t know how annoying this would be, as I haven't tried it, but it seems worth trying. I would wear the battery pack inside my jacket and run a power cable either out my jacket sleve or up my jacket and out my neck hole or out the bottom. With the battery being kept warm, it should last longer. Much longer. If it gets in the way of your climbing I don't know. Obviously, it is unacceptable if it does.

And to digress a bit.... You might also want to wear one of these. I use it for cross country skiing and it's great:

The only problem I have with them is that they can trap the moisture from your breath when it covers your nose and mouth. It can get a little damp and.. well, dirty/slimy. But they keep your head & neck really warm.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote