Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1

Hi, I've been flippin through e-bay looking for a set of extra batteries for my cam.

I've come to a listing that worries me a little, but entices me aswell..

The OEM Panasonic Battery is 7.2v 710mAh

but the non-OEM im seeing is 7.4v 1300mAh

I like the idea of having so much mAh.. but the extra .2v worries me a bit. I dont think the .2v would hurt but I would like to get your input first. I know when it comes down to the digital cameras the sensor can be extremely sensitive to voltage. Over volting it could possibly cause more noise or permenent damage I assume.
DanWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:40 PM   #2

Hello Dan,

Li-Ion cells have a nominal voltage rating of 3.6 or 3.7 volts per cell. They started out with the 3.6 volts rating, then as electrode materials changed, they found that the voltage was holding better, so they raised the nominal voltage to 3.7 volts.

If you have a voltmeter you can measure your battery when it comes off the charger. It should be at around 8.4 volts when fully charged, however some circuits don't fully charge the cells, then the voltage would be 8.2 volts.

Either way, the specifications on the replacement pack you are looking at should not pose any problems for your camera. If the replacement pack actually lives up to its specifications you should get almost twice the number of pictures from it as well.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote