Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:15 PM   #1

I bought an Olympus 790 yesterday, and also wanted an extra rechargeable Li-Ion battery. The guy at London Drugs told me that I might as well just buy a Pentax battery, because it's $20 cheaper than Olympus' battery, and is exactly the same.

I figured he knows what he's talking about and so I bought the Pentax battery.

Is there any harm in this? I'm sure this is a silly question but I just want to be sure before I go harming my camera or voiding my warranty or something.

The instruction manual for the camera says "Only use Olympus batteries", but I'm sure that's just in there solely so that I will go and buy more of their products :roll:

Thanks in advance.
devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2

Is is a Pentax D-L163?

I personally wouldn't worry about it if the dimensions and voltage are the same. But, if you want to make sure you don't cause warranty problems if the battery causes damage, use the correct Olympus battery. If the Pentax was less expensive, I'd probably get it myself.

From what I can from tell looking at third party batteries, the Olympus LI-42B (used by your camera) and Pentax D-L163 (used by some of the Pentax Optio models) are probably interchangeable.

See this page for one third party battery that says it's compatible with some Pentax and Olympus models that mentions those battery numbers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote