Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:42 AM   #1
Default Problems with HP 935 & lifetime battery

Hi people, I'm new in this forum. I live at Spain & I've bought in Andorra an HP photosmart 935 (5,1 ef. Mpx camera) it takes very good photos, I can send to print photos with big size (16 x 22 cm.) and they look very well, great detail and impressive colours, it has a very good manual white balance. About this i'm very happy to have this camera, but.....

... I'm very dissapointed about life time of batteries. This camera uses 2 AA batteries, so I've tried lot of them without succes...
I've tried this batteries:
- Kodak alkaline photo 1,5 v (for digital cameras) / 6 o 7 photos max
- Energizer Photo lithium 1,5 v (the same, for d.c.) / 10-12 photos max
- Hitachi 1,2 v NiMh 600 mAh / 20 photos max
- HAMA 1,2 v NiMh 2200 mAh / 35-40 photos max

I've tried two battery chargers, an standard charger (charges 4 A,AA,AAA batteries and 2 9V) and a new one, a HAMA charger, specific for these 2200 mAh batteries.....

With all these batteries i can't take over 40 photos (with the most powerful hama 2200), without flash, with the LCD only enabled for rapid review and measuring white balance... the less as possible..

Before I bougth this camera, i read a lot of reviews, in this page & others. For example, in www.dpreview.com. itís said that HP 935 is a camera with long life time of batteries, tried with NiMh 1600 mAh only and with LCD always On, more than 300 photos... i canít understand what happens with my camera, so Iíve phoned HP Technical Service in Spain and they have said me that i can order a new camera, i can try for at least both cameras (mine and the new) for compare.....

Now I have both cameras but I haven't tried them together, using the same features and taking the same photos; the new has a new firmware version (0.36V instead 0.30V) but it appears to be a big battery consumer... I think the camera was not broken and it wasn't failing... maybe its' very battery hungry, but I'm not already sure....

Anyone has got this camera? What do hp 935 users think about battery consumption? Can you help me? Is this normal?

Thank you all. Bye.
Massimo_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:49 AM   #2

Assuming the re-chargeable batts are in good condition and fully charged before use, you must expect battery drain when processing and saving 5Mpix images. I heard these displays are lower on batt power, but setting the display switch off time helps. Presumably with flash on you get even less shots? That's what I'd expect with 2 batts.

Perhaps you need to think about a larger external battery pack, is there a socket and is this possible?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote