Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:33 PM   #1

Personally, from what I've read/seen (limited) this is a very cool technology!!

Question 1. Just how long can you keep recharging the battery itself? I mean there is a time when the battery will say, that's it, replace me! What is it?

Question 2. Will these batteries cause any dmage to things like remote controlls on TV's, phones, key boards, etc,. I litterally don't know, therefore the question?

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:44 PM   #2

Hello Changeling,

Traditional NiMh batteries are designed around roughly a 2 year service life. Often, people will get more than 2 years out of them, but the general rule is that when they drop to below 80% of their initial capacity, it's time to retire them.

This means that if you originally got around 100 shots from your batteries when they were new, when they drop below 80 shots it is time to get some new batteries.

The Eneloop cells have only been out for 2 years, so we are kind of in new territory with them. Ask me again in around 5 years and I should have some answers for you... :-)

The batteries will not damage any of the devices you listed, but they may damage the batteries. If your device has a low voltage cut off, you can use the Eneloop cells without problems. If it doesn't, you may over discharge them, causing damage to the batteries.

You can check this by observing the voltage of the batteries in the device when it stops working. If the voltage is around 1.0 volts per cell, there will be no problems using the Eneloop batteries. Below that and you can do damage to your batteries.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:28 PM   #3

I'll put you on my calendar for 5 years from today and we'll discuss this again, LOL.

My reason for wanting to go to the enelopes for other things in the house is this.
About 2 to 3 years ago I bought about 200 AA's (awesome deal) I still have about 50 left but they draw down very fast now so I'm assuming they are just loosing there charge from sitting to long.
So, since I have a great charger I might as well work it to death instead of my wallet.

Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:54 AM   #4

If these are rechargeable NiMH and have just been in storage and not used, you might be able to revive them in a smart charger that will recondition them - usually by several charge-to-full then discharge cycles.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:42 AM   #5

I get about 18 months out of a set of NiMh rechargeable AAs I tend to charge each set at least every 10 days. However ifI get busy at work I canbe charging themeven sooner. After that they only get about 75% of their charge left. Lately (for past 8 months)I have been using impact branded 2900mha MiMh batteries and they are awesome! Istill have a set of CTA 2500mha and a set of energizer 2600mha9I think)batteries as well. They both will be phased on and replaced with 2900mha batteries by the summer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For my work and work habbits I carry a set in the flash, a set in thew camera and 4 extra sets in the camera bag. I CAN'T aford to run out of juice in the field.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6

No, these weren't rechargeable batteries just regular.

As soon as I use them up I'm going to get a set of Enelopes for all my house stuff on batteries.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:16 PM   #7

About a year ago I got 4 Enloop batteries to give them a try. Now 2 of those batteries cannot hold a charge. Meanwhile, my regular NiMH batteries, that I had before the Enloops, are still going strong.

Don't know if I just had a bad experience with Enloops, or what, but I won't be buying any more Enloops for a long time.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:19 PM   #8

Hello Amazingthailand.

You have bad experience with Enloops, they perform very well.
It is the most recommended cell for cameras and flashlights.

Maybe it depend on your charger?

Andersfromsweden is offline   Reply With Quote