Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:39 PM   #1

I found some info in this forum but, I hate to admit it, some was a little too technical for me. I have a Samsung Digimax A7 which I love. I was having a problem with my batteries not holding a charge. They were about a year old and I use them a lot and uphold a lot of pics to the computer. (I am an avid scrapbooker so I am constantly taking and uploading pics) So I figured they were worn out. I had a set of Kodak rechargeables and a set of energizer rechargeables and both used to hold a charge for a long time. i bought a set of Energizer batteries and charged them. The first set, when I turned on the camera I think I got 4 or 5 pics before the low battery message on the camera and it shut off. The second set wouldn't take a single picture. I thought maybe a bad set of batteries, so I got some Kodak batteries. They seemed to work a little better, but still only about 20 pics or so. Tonight I went to my daughters school program with both sets of new Kodak batteries and both sets of new Energizers. I was only able to take 3 pics inside with the flash with any of them and couldn't use the zoom. I was able to take some pics outside without the flash.

I am at a loss and am not a technical person. I have a samsung charger that came wtih the camera. Is the problem the camera, the charger, the batteries or me? I put the batteries into the charger when the low battery message comes on. I will admit that they tend to stay in the charger even after the green light comes one indicating fully charged. But the manual on the charger indicates that is ok and shouldn't harm the batteries. I looked through the menu on the camera and can't find anything that might need to be changed or that I messed up. The camera has never gotten wet or any damage that I am aware of.

What should I try next? Should I buy a different charger? Should I buy a really cheap digi camera to see if it is my camera? Should I buy different batteries? Should I try my camera with a set of non-rechargeable batteries? I love my camera and don't want to spend the money right now on a new one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
nebraskaparkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2

Hello Nebraskaparkfan,

I am afraid that troubleshooting a complex piece of equipment is technical. However, even though you may not be technical, there may be someone in your "neighborhood" that may be able to help you out.

One of the first things we look for when troubleshooting a battery/charger problem is what the voltage of the batteries are. Next we want to know the voltage of the batteries under load.

Do you have a flashlight that takes 2 AA batteries?

OK, the first step is to substitute. Go down to the local store and pick up some AA Alkaline cells. If you have a Rite Aid drug store, their brand is a very good value. If not, how about a Costco? The Kirkland brand is also very good. If none of these is available go with Energizer, Duracell, or Ray O Vac.

According to the press release for that camera, you should be able to get 110 shots on a pair of Alkaline batteries.

Next, go on a shooting spree. Walk around the house and take pictures of everything you have. Step outside and do the same. Keep track of the number of pictures you get off of your set of Alkaline batteries. Without using the flash, I would hope you would get at least 60 shots.

If you get close to that or over, your camera is probably OK.

Now if your camera is OK, that points to the batteries or the charger.

Without some technical data, this is a little harder to figure out. If you have a flashlight that takes 2 AA batteries, like a 2 AA MiniMag, you can compare the brightness of the beam with Alkaline versus your rechargeable batteries. Bright is good, dim is not so good. If your rechargeable batteries seem to be bright at first, then rapidly dim down over, say, 5 minutes, one of your batteries is probably bad.

That's about it for a non technical load test.

I can't seem to find any information on the charger, but if it has two slots, it should also have a button to press to do a discharge. You may want to try running a cycle on them by putting the cells in the charger, pressing the discharge button, and letting the charger discharge, then charge the cells back up. Sometimes this helps.

If your batteries are 2500 mAh capacity, throw them away... not really, recycle them. There have been lots and lots of reports of problems with 2500 mAh batteries. The Energizer ones may be replaced by Energizer if you call them and tell them that your batteries are only a few months old and they won't hold a charge. I don't think Kodak has the same policy, but it may be worth checking into.

If you get a coupon for new cells, don't by 2500 mAh cells.

The best batteries for cameras right now are the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

When you leave batteries on the charger after the charge has completed, you end up cooking the batteries to death. I know the manual states that it is OK to do so, but what they are really saying is that they won't blow up if you leave them on the charger. My guess is that your habit of doing this has destroyed your batteries, but it is only a guess. When the light turns green on the charger, you can leave them on for an hour more, but take them off the charger.

Let us know how you make out, and if you don't understand any of this, let me know.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3

Thank you so much. You have given me some good practical advice of the steps I should take to check everything out. I now have a project for next week. LOL
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4

I have the same problem. It's not that the batteries actually are being used up quickly -- I put the batteries that my camera says are "low" and refuses to take a picture with, into another camera and it displays them as having full power and happily takes many pictures.

The fault must be in the camera failing to detect that the battery has power. This is a fault that has developed recently as the camera has been fine for about a year (not heavy use or poor treatment).

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with the Samsung Digimax A7 (googling and finding negative reviews).

I would be grateful to hear of any suggested fixes or advice regarding repairs, I think it's a very nice camera - when it works.
a.heyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 8:10 AM   #5

That is exactly what is going on with my camera. I love the camera and the quality of the pictures and it wasn't a cheap camera so it should be lasting longer.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:37 PM   #6

HI
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your digimax as i have had mine for a few year now, not heavy use & no niglect put new batteries in a few times & wont swithch on then it does then switches off seconds later after showing half batteries or low batterie power. good camera & would like to keep it also my first camera i ever bought..Ewan
ewanfish is offline   Reply With Quote