Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:01 PM   #1

Most of what I have read over the past few years consistently lists the BC-900 as the standard by which other chargers are measured, but it has been out there for awhile now and I'm not sure if another charger has overtaken it.

ThomasDistributing seems to be pushing the "new" Maha MH-C204W and the iPower GC-60, which I've never heard of and can find no reviews anywhere online. The Maha doesn't seem too interesting; I already have one of those Lightning chargers from the old RipVan100 site. The iPower GC-60 looks promising though...anyone hear anything about it at all?

I know the BC-900 used to have a few glitches, one of which (the dead cell detection) could be worked around with a paperclip...they've had plenty of time to fix that, but have they?

I want to use the new Eneloop batteries probably...haven't looked into them much though. Any recommendations in that area are appreciated as well.

HDwannaBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:23 AM   #2

I looked at the BC 900, but finally decided on the Maha MH 9000.

I'm happy with it.

------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 1:47 PM   #3

Hello HDwannaBE,

Another vote for the Maha C9000...

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:07 AM   #4

Currently, the BC-900 is the backup to my MH-C9000. Both good chargers, but the C9000 definitely tops the charts IMO. I still do use the BC-900 and it is a good charger.

You can't go wrong with eneloop cells, been using them for a long time now and they're replaced alkaline cells in most of my devices.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:57 PM   #5

The vote is for Maha C9000. Buy it and you will love it!
BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:00 PM   #6
Default Battery Chargers

I bought a MAHA C9000 but it buzzed so loudly I could not use it. I returnd it and the LCD on the next one went bad quickly. The next two also broke in short order. I consider myself a low-moderate user. Great features - poor quality.

The LaCrosse seem to have a bad habit of melting. There are several stories about eventhe newest model on Amazon.

I am looking for something else. The iPower GC-60 looks promising.
shootFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:43 PM   #7

I chose an alternative to MAHA C9000 and the BC-900 that was suggested by another user. You can find it here:

After much research, I agreed and ordered the unit. I am scheduled to receive it next week. It charges 8 AA cells simultaneously and separately with an LCD readout for every cell being charged, and it is less costly, and not noisy, nor (hopefully) defective. However, the charger is guaranteed for 3 years, so I feel very protected.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:34 AM   #8

One more vote to Maha C9000, it has a three year warranty too.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:39 PM   #9

Wow! I just got a Maha C9000 and it works faultlessly. I've already dragged it to a different city and back (in a case that happened to come with it) and it didn't affect anything. Hope it will continue to work as well as it is now, it's been great to be able to find the one battery that was weak out of a set that's several years old.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:56 AM   #10

Ultra Rapid Charger?

What is so Ďrapidí about it? Who makes it? How long have they been in business?

I was unable to find answers to any of these questions, either on the linked tigerdirect site, nor the Ultra Products site. No specifications, no userís manual, no company info. According to the limited specs on the tigerdirect site, the unit has a capacity of 2500 mAh and a charge time of 3 hours. Is 3 hours rapid? What battery can be charged in 3 hours? AA? AAA? What capacity? 800 mAh? 1800? 2700? If you click on the data sheet on the td site, it claims a charge time of 5 hours for 2500 mAh batteries...thatís not rapid - thatís slug speed. The data sheet stops short of claiming whether it takes 5 hours to charge 8 batteries, or only 4...or only two. 3-year warranty? According to the td site, it only comes with a 1-year warranty...unless you register your product online. Hmmm...wonder what that entails?

If you want a good 8-cell charger, consider the Maha Powerex MH-C801D. The 801D offers two different charging outputs, as well as a reconditioning cycle (not just a discharge). It comes with a 3-year warranty (no strings attached). The 801D will charge (8) Eneloops in 45 minutes. The Ďrapidí Ultra charger, would take 4 hours...maybe...

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote