Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:04 AM   #1

Hi steve. after going through your website since past few weeks, I recently purchased a canon powershot 590IS after reading your review about it and also bought sanyo 2700 rechargeable batteries 2 days ago. The charger I bought is Camelion BC-0528. In the instruction manual it has mentioned charging times of select battery types but has not mentioned about 2700 mAh. the highest capacity given in the manual is only 2300 mAh which is about 21 hours. i would like to know if I can charge sanyo 2700 mAh with this charger and how long would the charging time be?It does not have an indicator to show if charging is complete and it says we have to keep track of the charging time and then remove it. kindly clarify my doubts. thanks, sajid
sajidhasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:29 AM   #2

I've moved your thread down to our Batteries or Power Packs Forum, where you'll be more likely to find an answer to your question.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3

Hello Sajid,

That charger charges at a constant 150 mA and has no termination of the charge. A 2700 mAh cell will take around 25 hours to charge from empty.

The problem with these types of chargers is that sometimes the cells are not completely empty and we want to charge them back up. In this case you need to know how much you have used from the cell. That is very difficult to do, so you end up overcharging most of the time.

NiMh cells, especially high capacity cells, are very sensitive to overcharging. Using that charger may put you in the position of experiencing a greatly reduced cycle life from your cells, and you may need to replace them more often.

On the other hand, the charge rate is quite low, so perhaps the damage will be minimized by that.

The bottom line is that your charger will work, but you should probably save up and get a better charger.

I understand that Maha is having a Christmas special on their C9000 for somewhere around $37 US. This is a very good price on that excellent charger.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote