Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:49 PM   #1

Does anyone know whether it's safe to use lithium AA batteries in the Canon SX10?
hotwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:24 PM   #2

I don't know why you couldn't...but...the SX10 is rated for 600 shots using NiMH batteries...why would you want to use lithiums?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:30 AM   #3

Yes, its safe. And I do have to agree with Hun, Lithium primaries are about $10/4-Pack.

A good set of NiMH cells, eneloop for example, can be purchased for around $10. You would also need a good charger.

For the price of 7 sets of Lithium primaries, you could have a system that gets you 600 shots every time and the cells can be re-charged up to 1000 times. The math isn't hard to do.

Now, if you'll only be using the camera for an occasional shot here and there, and might go through only 1 set of Lithium cells a year, then yes, lithium primaries are the way to go.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4

The great and useful thing about primary lithium batteries is their very long shelf life (as well as high, but throwaway capacity).

If you have primary lithiums in your bag you can forget about them for years, and be sure you won't ever be caught without power for the camera, no matter how lackadaisical you are about monitoring and recharging your rechargeables. (See my recent post here about neglected low self-discharge Ni-MH cells.)

I use routinely use a pair of Li-ion rechargeables in rotation in my superzoom, but also carry a primary lithium equivalent for emergency backup. I bought it in 2007 and it has a a sell-by date of 2015. I'll try and remember to use it before its time is up.

Also, in locations without piped electricity or a generator, you can carry plenty of primary Li energy for minimum weight.

On one holiday in 2007, I forgot to take the mains-only charging cradle for my pocket camera's custom Li-ion battery. I had to buy a secondbattery and have the camera shop charge the pair up for me overnight. That won't happen with my more recent cameras, (a) becausethey have 12V/mainschargers, but also (b) because I carry the unused primary Li spare.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Alan - I agree 100% about the shelf life and using Li primaries as a backup.

Check this out: I purchased 8 Energizer Li AAs 2 years ago.They're been in the fridge because they're for backup. I never had to use them andI pulled them out last weekend and let them warm up.

All 8 cells tested out at 100% on a ZTS tester!

While I don't carry spare Li cells, I do carry a spare set of fully charged eneloop cells that have come in handy on more than one occasion.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:24 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your responses. Here is why I want to consider lithium batteries for my camera. During a recent trip to Egypt, I fried my charger and could find nobody else on the tour with another one. I had to resort to using very expensive AA alkalines for most of the second half of the trip. Ouch!!So while I do swear by rechargeables, especially Eneloop, in the event of another trip out of the country I want to carry the lithiums just in case. Thanks again everyone.
hotwax is offline   Reply With Quote