Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 25, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Default Battery Life ?

How long does a battery life last ?mine is a year old and i was wondering if perhaps i needed to get a new one yet ?its for a fuji s100fs.
wyldeflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2009, 6:47 PM   #2

Depends on how much you use it and how far you drain it down during each use. Li-Ion cells in general tend to start to loose capacity after about 2.5 - 3 years as the chemistry starts to break down.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3

Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they will last forever. Some batteries need used or they can lose their memory to fully rechargeable after a period of time. Like coppertrail said 2.5 - 3 years on a li-Ion seems about right. I tend to charge my batteries at about every 6 weeks if they are not used so they don't got 100% dead and risk having an issue in getting them fully recharged.....

Most AA rechargeable last anywhere from 300 - 500 charge cycles and from my experience I was able to get about 2 years of charging every other before they would need replaced.

If your worried about your battery dying and not be able to recharge get a spare and have the piece of mind that you are prepared.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 3:32 PM   #4

I have a set of 2500 mAh Powerex NiMH cells that were purchased in mid 2005. Although I've not used these cells all that much, I store them in an airtight container in the fridge and put them through a refresh mode at least every 6 mo. Storage/maintenance of infrequently used cells also has a bearing on their life span, at least with NiMH cells.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:53 PM   #5

Keeping any battery in a refrigerator will extend it's life. any chemical reaction tends to slow way down as it gets colder. But freezing is not a good thing as crystals physically break things. Just 35F is fine.

To keep moisture at bay you can buy , now, at many grocery stores for $5 a 3lb caniseter of silica gel used for cat boxes. MAke sure it's only silica gel. IT should only have the crystals. Reinvigorate them by 1 hour in 350F oven. A few ounces in a nylon bag (mom's old stockings) will keep moisture away.

Put this in a plastic container and the batteries in the container. It's not
critical to do this drying thing. It's just good practice if you have lots of
moisture in your air. The cold tends to precipitate it and that can cause
rust and a conduction path for voltage on the surface of battery.

Let the container with the absorbant stay at room temp for a week before
putting away. Silica gel doesn't absorb water liquid as it would water vapor
found in damp air. ie Houston , TX / New Orleans / etc.

( gel pack
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:06 PM   #6

I consider two sets the minimum number of rechargeable batteries for any camera with rechargeable batteries. My normal sequence of operation is exchange the battery in the camera when the camera shows that it need to be replaced with my other battery and recharge the removed battery immediately. That battery then goes back into my camera bag when it is charged. The cycle is repeated as required. This equalizes the usage on both sets and keeps my camera ready to go.

If I'm going to shoot a major event like an all day air show I charge both batteries before I go. My current LiIons are two and a half years old but I was able to shoot 840+ shots at an airshow two weeks ago using both batteries.

This procedure might not work for some types of NiMH batteries as some don't hold a charge for extended periods but it should work for the newer types that will hold a charge for extended periods.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:48 AM   #7

I operate in a similar way to ac.smith, except that I have three Li-ion batteries used in rotation, the last one acquired incidentally with a new camera. In addition, as there's space even in a tiny bag for superzoom plus all of these batteries plus a mini-tripod, and the additional weight is minimal, I carry a pair of AA throwaway Li primary batteries, which happen to be an option on my cameras.

The oldest operational Li-ion batteries I have are Sony 'InfoLithium' camcorder ones, more than five years old, but last used more than a year ago.

However, I had one specimen of rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 from Maplin (a UK RadioShack lookalike chain) fail in just less than one year of frequent use. Maplin replaced it without question when I proved date of purchase.

Of course, you don't usually know how old the batteries are when you buy them!

Last edited by Alan T; Jul 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote