Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:28 PM   #1
Default What to buy ? MAHA 204F or Lightning Pack 4000N

Which one should I buy?

Both are:
- the same price. However, the cost of shipping to Canada of 204F is way higher than that of 4000N
- 2 channels chargings

204F has advantage:
- more praise from reviews
- can be charged from auto power

400N has advantage:
- faster charging time
- run cooler

Your experience inputs are apprciated.
750fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:48 AM   #2

Does anyone else have experience with the 4000N? I've seen posts by Steven H but hardly anyone else. The keeping batteries much cooler sounds good, but when it comes to chargers many talk about Maha without mentioning Lightning Pack.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3

204 in a heart beat
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:00 PM   #4

I'll jump in again on this topic and can say from experience that the Lightning Pack 4000N is an AWESOME little charger. It has charged my batteries BETTER than even my newest Maha 401FS (cool or faster) chargers (have two of the Maha 401FS's).
I like the LP4000N so much that I even buy them and give them to family members who need a battery charger.
I thought I would miss the car adapter ability of other chargers, but that has not been a problem. And if I do need that, hey, I have the Maha's and a couple of NEXcell 20FC chargers also (which operates along the line of the LP4000N, just not as cool).
Sometimes I wonder if the Maha thing is not more of an "image" thing with some. Not saying that they are not good chargers, but for ME the Maha is not the best.

Good Day,
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:57 AM   #5

I like these http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...yovac_ic3.html They are relativley cheap, charge super fast and cool, and last a long time in a digital camera
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:01 PM   #6

Have used 4000N for almost 3 years and I am pleased so far. I have designed power supplies (switching, constant voltage and constant current) but could not find any serious design info on most of these Nimh chargers so I spent a good deal of time reviewing websites to determine the best bet.

The individual charge ciruits (as opposedto the paired charging in the 4000N)have nominal advantage if you just label your cells in pairs (e.g. A,A,B,B) and use them paired in the load if applicable. My digital camera uses 4 cells, 1 pair in each direction + + and - - (inverted) so I just keep the pairs in the same orientation.

Bought two 4paks of Sanyo 1700 mah industrial batteries when I got the charger and keep one pair charged in reserve. Recently lost one set (daughter sold child's toy with them in forgetting to remove the batteries). I will probably replace with Sanyo 2500 mah 4pak.

(would really like to know if the 4000N is compatible with the new Sanyo eneloop batteries)
dougb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:45 AM   #7

I got a LP 4000 but it was a dud. It would not charge anything. I sent it back for a refund. while attempting to charge it also put out a lot of RF interference. I could not use a portable radio in the room with it...Maybe just the broken ones do that. I got an even smaller Panasonic bq-390? that works great. Its smaller,lighter and can even charge odd numbers of cells properly.
Roboshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:31 AM   #8

I own both...one Maha 204F, which I no longer use because the batteries were getting very hot, and four Hubgiant CHG2000PDSC chargers (which is the manfacturer of the LP4000 - and identical charger). I prefer the CHG2000's, because they charge quickly, don't overheat the batteries, are light and compact, and don't require an adapter. Note: one of my CHG2000's crapped out after a little more than a year, but the other three are doing fine.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:43 AM   #9

i like the looks of the Lightening Pack... a major advantage for me is the flashing lights to show information. since I am color blind, its very hard to read LEDs that change from red to green or some such (red and green sometimes look the same to me).

i also like the "no wall wart" aspect and that it charges AAAs and includes a condition feature. this set of qualities is not offered by Maha.
bluesdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:32 PM   #10

Hello Dough,

The Eneloop cells can be charged on any NiMh charger.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote