Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:35 PM   #1
Default spare batteries ?

How many of you buy only original brand batteries for your camera's and how many buy an off brand such as from e bay ?
I really don't want to pay Panasonic 59.95 for a spare battery for my ZS7.
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:23 PM   #2

I've always used genuine Nikon batteries for my Nikon digital camera. Failed battery = No camera so why take a chance and skimp to save a few dollars.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:33 PM   #3

I use AA batteries in my Fuji camera and I have never used Fuji batteries. I currently have 4 sets of AAs for the camera/hot shoe flash. 3 of them are Sanyo Eneloops and when the 4th set dies it will be replaced with eneloops for sure. I find these batteries work the best for me and regular AA rechargeables don't last nearly as long.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:37 PM   #4

I can't speak for your Nikon, but for the various Canon and Sony cameras I use ... from Pro all the way down to P&S, I have used both name brand and carefully selected third party batteries.

None have given me (or family members) any problems in hours and hours of shooting. Even the new "chipped" (fully decoded) LP-E6 third party batteries at one-quarter to one-half Canon's price work just fine for me and provide all the same information the originals do.

BTW, to that end, now that there is competition, I see the Canon LP-E6 has dropped in street price by at least a third.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:47 PM   #5

Originally Posted by rebs View Post
How many of you buy only original brand batteries for your camera's and how many buy an off brand such as from e bay ?
I really don't want to pay Panasonic 59.95 for a spare battery for my ZS7.
I have two batteries for my Canon 500D/T1i, the original Canon battery
and a cheap eBay replacement. Both work perfectly. The cheap one seems
to have slightly greater capacity than the original Canon LP-E5. Both
batteries are less than one year old.

At first, I was a bit nervous about leaving the eBay battery in the
camera while it is not in use, just in case it leaked or blew up.
I don't worry about it anymore. It seems very well made and I
haven't had any problems with it.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:56 PM   #6

I'm guessing you're referring to proprietary Li-ion packs that come with the majority of digicams; not AAs.

I've used both. I prefer to buy OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) packs, however I have at least two canon copies for my Rebel, and they've never given me any problems. They even offer a bit more power with slightly increased mAh ratings compared to the OEM units I have.

In my newest Canon dSLR, I plan on running strictly Canon brand batteries. Why you ask? No real reason other than I want all OEM

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be fine using either. Just be sure to search for the best aftermarket battery brands that have a good track record with other users.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:02 AM   #7

I added a non-OEM battery to my collection when I bought a non-OEM battery grip. Both have been working marvelously. If I were tacking up a 5d2 or a 1d I might stick with OEM everything - you know, gamble only what I can afford to loose.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:06 PM   #8

I have one Oly and one 3d party Li-Ion for my e620 and I can't tell the difference in camera or on the charger. E-Bay makes me squeamish because the vendors are not necessarily well vetted and I think the vendors credentials are very important when buying Li-Ion batteries. I either order through Amazon and let them do the vetting or there's an outfit called BestBatt that has a good reputation on these pages.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:21 AM   #9

I have been using this battery package since September.
No issues at all!!! For the price you can't beat it. 2 batteries, wall charger, and a 12 volt cigarette adapter for the charger.

stumprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:37 AM   #10

I stick with OEM or name brand Li-Ion batteries. I'm a little more cautious with Li-Ion quality than NiMH or NiCAD.

Every lithium ion battery pack should have (must have?) a safety board which monitors the charge and discharge of the pack, and prevents dangerous things from happening. The specifications of these safety boards are dictated by the cell manufacture, and may include the following:
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Charge temperature--must not be charged when temperature is lower than 0 C or above 45 C.
  • Charge current must not be too high, typically below 0.7 C.
  • Discharge current protection to prevent damage due to short circuits.
  • Charge voltage--a permanent fuse opens if too much voltage is applied to the battery terminals
  • Overcharge protection--stops charge when voltage per cell rises above 4.30 volts.
  • Overdischarge protection--stops discharge when battery voltage falls below 2.3 volts per cell (varies with manufacturer).
  • A fuse opens if the battery is ever exposed to temperatures above 100 C.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote