Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:20 AM   #1
Default Minolta F100 using Nexell 1800 NiMH batteries

I have a new Minolta F100 that came with a 3v sanyo lithium battery. The camera works great with this battery but when I switch to Nexell 1800 NiMH I have a problem. Each Nexell shows 1.48-1.49v when I put them into the camera. If I take continuous pics using just the flash, I get about 125 pics before the camera quits. However, if I use the zoom at all, I get about 8-15 pics and then the camera quits. I've tried a second set of Nexell 1800s and the result is the same. Minolta says this is not right and have asked me to return the camera with a set of my NiMH batts. I have used these Nexell batts in my portable CD player and they last for many hours. Any suggestions on what is going on with this camera/batt combination?
tlynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:32 AM   #2

on the inital output a nimh batt can show 1.48 but the working voltage is 1.2. you should see what the mah (milliampere hour) rating is. these cameras like high octane minimum 1700mah pref 1800 or higher. also you might try another brand like maha/kodak/GP/other. todays cd players are now low current draw items digicams are not. i myself have had problems with nexcell batts not holding charge after only a few uses. if you spoke to minolta and they feel that there might be an issue i would do as they ask and let them figure out what the problem is.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 1:55 PM   #3
Default nexcel batts & minolta F100

sjms, thx for your reply. I found a url with test results for many brands of NiMH batts. Sees as though Nexcell was the only batt to totally fail (i.e. not take a charge). The writer reported that Nexcell batts held less of a charge each time he charged them. I did some more testing and I found the same thing. Now I'm only getting 20 pics after a charging. I'm switching to a different battery.
tlynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:36 PM   #4
Default Battery test site?

Any chance of the URL for the site you refer to?
flash harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:06 PM   #5

This should do it.

Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote