Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:55 PM   #21

I've had the rayovac one hour charger for about a year. I got it when it first came out at walmart for about $30 which included 4 batteries. I bought 8 eveready NiMH and 6 Panasonic NiMH. I have charged all these many times and at first was concerned because the batteries do get quite warm. They are almost to the point that you can't touch them! I have yet to have a problem. The batteries seem to be able to handle the heat. I figure the convenience is worth it even if it ever does shorten the life of the batteries. Besides, they are so cheap now that the cost is a minor concern.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:25 PM   #22

From Thomas Distributing FAQ (I think they know a thing or two about batteries)

Q: How often should I condition my batteries?

For Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries, conditioning is recommended once for every ten charges. For Nickel Cadmium (NiCD) batteries, conditioning is recommended every time you charge your batteries.

Q: I have not used my NiMH batteries in several months and they are not holding their charge. How can I fix this?

NiMH batteries will self-discharge if left unused. Generally, within 30 to 60 days, batteries will become completely drained. When using them, you will need to first recharge them. After extended storage, you may need to condition (using the conditioning feature on POWEREX chargers like the MH-C204F) the batteries several times to regain nominal performance.

I think you can say that NiMH batteries are not as prone to the Memory effect as NiCD's....but they are NOT immune to it either.
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote