Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

I am currently using some Energizers, 2300mh, any opinions? Is it okay to use my Monster Cell charger with these Energizer batteries? I figured it was okay as long as it was Nimh.
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:46 PM   #2
Administrator

I didn't even know that Monster Cable had chargers. :-)

It looks like they offer several models, including this one:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer...r.asp?pin=1417

Chances are, it will work fine with the Energizer 2300mAh batteries. Although, there is always a possibility thatthe charger will cut off too soon (before the batteries are fully charged) -- depending on how "smart" it is.

You can read more about popular batteries and chargers here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:23 PM   #3

I looked over that article, thanks

The only thing is it is hard to truly discern which is the best. Currently I'm using those Energizer 2300mh that I mentioned, and I suppose those will do.

As far as the charger, I didn't like the idea that you didn't even know it existed!:shock:

What do you suggest? Preferably something that works with the Energizer 2300mh batteries, but I can always start from scratch. . .

Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:49 PM   #4
Administrator

Kaiserbowl wrote:
Quote:
I looked over that article, thanks

The only thing is it is hard to truly discern which is the best. Currently I'm using those Energizer 2300mh that I mentioned, and I suppose those will do.

As far as the charger, I didn't like the idea that you didn't even know it existed!:shock:

What do you suggest? Preferably something that works with the Energizer 2300mh batteries, but I can always start from scratch. . .

I'm probably not the best person to ask about chargers and batteries.In fact, I just bought a cheap charger and NiMH batteries from a drug store a few days ago (on sale for $9.99 for the charger andfour 2050mAh batteries).

Now, there are some reasons for this.... For one thing, my wife threw away all of my rechargeable NiMH batteries except for 2 of them a while back. Really! I also don't usecameras that require NiMH batteries very often.

Anyway, my wife was trying to replace the batteries in a TV Remote Control. Well, she found my NiMH batteriesand tried them all. They didn't work, so she threw them out (not realizing that they were rechargeable). The only reason I had two left is that she left the last 2 in the remote control. :-)

The sad thing about this story is that she was putting them into the remote control backwards (polarity reversed). Once I put them in correctly, the remote control worked fine (and I replaced them with AA Alkalines the first chance I got). I didn't realize that she had thrown out all of the rest of my batteries until later when I needed them.

Fortunately, my newest digicam uses Lithium Ion, so she didn't try these, too.:G

To answer your question, the MaHA chargers and Powerex batteries from Thomas Distributing are highly recommended. Most are "smart" chargers with the ability to charge each battery independently (so that the charger doesn't cut off prematurely, or you end up with unevenly charged cells, etc.).

Here isSteve's Review of their "top of the line" model:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ha_c401fs.html

But, if your existing batteries are serving you well, I wouldn't rush out to buy the "latest and greatest" charger and batteries if you don't really need faster recharging times and/or higher capacity (the 2300mAH rating on your Energizers is hard to beat if it's accurate, and your A80 has much better than average battery life).

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:08 AM   #5
blr

Kaiserbowl wrote:
Quote:
I am currently using some Energizers, 2300mh, any opinions? Is it okay to use my Monster Cell charger with these Energizer batteries? I figured it was okay as long as it was Nimh.
You Enegizers are most prpbably made by Sanyo in Japan and are thus identical to Sanyo Twicell 2300. These are probably the best NiMH cells out there. I use several sets of 2300 and 2100 cells made by Sanyo (branded as Sony, Kodak, Olympus they are all the same cells) and they perform great.

I don't know anything about your charger but as long as it has some sort of "smart" termination of charge and even better separate charging slots it should be OK. One thing to look for is if the charger has a timer as a safety backup. Depending on how the timer is set it may not allow enough time for charging your high capacity cells from flat. For instance if the charger outputs, say 700 mA per cell and the timer is set to 3 hours 3x700=2100 mA of charge input. This will be enough for, say 1700mAh cells but your 2300 ones will be undercharged. If you still have the documentation of the charger you may want to check this out.

If you really want to get the most of your cells in terms of service life get a cool charger. Most of todays fast (1-2 hour) chargers overcharge the cells slightly which heats them up to higher temperatures than healthy thus shortening their life.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:10 PM   #6

Thank you for your helpful advice. Is there any charger on the market you would suggest?

Also, where would you purchase, I suppose I will have to look online, for on Hawaii it seems the only places which would have such an item is CompUSA and Circuit City, both of which don't seem to carry many good rechargers.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:28 PM   #7

Aloha, Kaiserbowl. I have the same Energizer 2300mAh batteries that you have. I second Blr's thoughts that they are made by Sanyo. After the 4th charge I consistently get around 550 to 600 shots with my Canon A75 w/lcd always on. I use a Maha 401FS charger. Thomas Distributing has a good deal where you get a set of 4 2000mAh GP batteries (very good in their own right), a couple of AA holders and a soft carrying case. There have been some reports with the 401FS charger not charging all batteries at the same time (via 4 independent channels) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Mine works great and the only times I got significant different times was with the first 3 or 4 chargers with new batteries. A high quality charger is definitely worth the investment.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:34 PM   #8

spark wrote:
Quote:
Aloha, Kaiserbowl. I have the same Energizer 2300mAh batteries that you have. I second Blr's thoughts that they are made by Sanyo. After the 4th charge I consistently get around 550 to 600 shots with my Canon A75 w/lcd always on. I use a Maha 401FS charger. Thomas Distributing has a good deal where you get a set of 4 2000mAh GP batteries (very good in their own right), a couple of AA holders and a soft carrying case. There have been some reports with the 401FS charger not charging all batteries at the same time (via 4 independent channels) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Mine works great and the only times I got significant different times was with the first 3 or 4 chargers with new batteries. A high quality charger is definitely worth the investment.

Sam
Sam~

You know, I don't think I get anywhere NEAR that many shots. Does the amount of charges really matter? I think I'm probably only on the third charge. . .I am torn though, cause how bad can the "monster cable" charger really be compared to the others?

Is the price/quality of chargers very much like cameras and computers? ie, as time goes by, price drops dramatically and quality increases inversely???

I'm thinking about just dealing with this charger for a few more months. . .I've got 12 batteries and last long enough between charges for now.

Will the Energizer 2300mh batteries really hold up for 500 charges?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:25 PM   #9

If you have brand new NiMH batteries then you will see a vast improvement with usable capacity as you go through the first 3 to 4 charge cycles. But if the batteries have already been charged several times then the only method of increasing the usable capacity is using a good charger.

You never mentioned what digicam you're using with the Energizers. My quote of 550 to 600 shots is with a Canon A75, a digicam with a reputation for good battery performance - I'm sure that its use of 4 AAs helps. Regardless, I don't think you will go wrong with spending a few extra bucks on a good charger.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:57 PM   #10

I also bought the Energizer charger with 4 2100 mAh batteries, then yesterday I received 4 Energizer 2500 mAh batteries which I have charged and discharged twice to condition them. Glad my camera has a discharge mode built in.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote