Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:04 AM   #1

I'm still using the original CanonBP-511 (7.4V 1100mAh Li-on) batteryin my G3, but several times thebattery hasguit before I wanted to stop shooting. I realize a second battery will let me shoot longer. I went to a local brick-and-mortar battery shop that had a 3rd party 7.2V 1300mAh battery, and an Empire VBC-LIN2 'Universal' charger for 3.6V to 7.2V Li-ons -- it has 3 'plates' to accomodate different battery sizes. Naturally, I went online to see how much lessthe charger cost ($40 vice $50), and also found an Empire VBC-193P charger specifically for the BP-511 (and several other batteries).

I have several questions:

1) Is Empire a good charger?

2) A 'universal' charger sounds good, even though (other than my wireless phones, which have their own chargers)I don't have other Li-on-powered toys. My original Canon battery is marked 7.4V-- but thecharger, and3rd-party batteries I've seen, are rated at 7.2V. Does it matter?

3) I've seen 7.2V 2500 mAh BP-511 equivs online. Are there any issues in going to a battery with over twice the capacity? I don't want to fry or explode my G3! :sad:

Thanks for your advice -- it's always beengood in the past! :-)

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links