Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 7, 2002, 4:22 AM   #1
Default ARGH!: stricken by DSC-P1 battery bug

Well, after googling 'Sony DSC-P1 battery problems' I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem. Although, I kind of feel lucky since I've had my camera almost two years before this problem fully manifested itself. It has been slowly dying until this point.

However this morning, I went to use my camera after a night of charging only to find the low-bat indicator come on...WTF!?!?! And now, I'm here relating my experiences. The camera has been great (for me) until recently.

I've found lots of tales of these problems on the net and LOTS of possible ways to try to correct these problems, just short of buying another camera. But has anyone found a method that works?

I did a search here, but came up with very little. Not sure if the search function works properly here....

Anyways, if anyone has tried something that works, please post here. I've tried most things I've read but not much has improved.

a4avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:36 AM   #2

Are you considering an external battery pack? ( I see that you have a ext DC jack)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 5:50 PM   #3

I will throw my 2 cents in here, having many camcorders through the years and always having short run times on the camcorder batterys, this trick may work in your case if your batterys are ni-cad or other types of rechargable batterys.
Connect a bulb to the battery and discharge it untill the bulb just about lights, do not keep the bulb on after the filament goes out, as long as the filament is still glowing at all leave it on, than recharge the battery either in or out of your camera whichever is the case.
Than disharge the battery again using the bulb methed, do this several times, I have saved many ni-cad and even some NM-Hydride types this way.
This is called battery conditioning and some chargers have this feature built in.
If for example your battery is 6 volts, use a 1 amp 6 volt bulb like a #81 (old auto bulb), if 12 volts use a #1156 bulb, I do not know what voltage your sony uses, just remember to get a bulb close to the voltage of your Sony battery and the current draw shuld be around 1 amp.
I hope this helps.
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:51 AM   #4

See this message

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 9:51 PM   #5
Default Re: ARGH!: stricken by DSC-P1 battery bug

First off, you need to do 4 things:

1. Make sure your camera accessories match the products that have the problem. These product codes are on the back of each item:
- Sony DSC-P1 Camera
- Battery NP FS11
- AC Adapter AC LS1A

2. Visit this website for all the details about the issue

3. Phone them at 1-800-222-7669, answer some questions and get a Work Order # assigned to you. They may also give you an Event ID: which just means if you call them again about the same issue they can track you. The work order # is the most important detail however since you need this to ship the camera.

4. Pack up your camera, original battery and power adapter securely and send it by courier. Inside the package it's a good idea to enclose a letter with the following details:

Customer Name:
your return shipping address
your phone number

----> Record all your serial numbers
1) Sony DSC-P1 Camera (Serial # )
2) Battery NP FS11
3) AC Adapter AC LS1A (Serial # )

** Remember to remove any Memory Sticks and the adapter power cable - they don't need these.

Declare the value on the courier form so it's insured. It cost me $16 to send it 2 day Fedex insured for $500. On the shipping label write the Work Order # as part of the address, maybe on the "Attention or Description" lines.

This is the shipping address:
Sony Service Center Irvine
14450 Myford Rd
Irvine, CA 92606

You pay for shipping the camera to them and they pay to return it to you. Mine was returned in a week and is now (knock on wood) working perfectly. They replaced the battery and the adapter and sent back the same camera (I was hoping that they might upgrade it, but they didn't.)

Good Luck!

nrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 3:10 AM   #6

See my experience (in the UK) here http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6193.

I found that the discharge / reset procedure did not seem to work (well, it did to start with, but not forever).

Looking at the Sony article mentioned above I see they focus on "accumulated corrosion at the connection between the supplied AC adaptor and the DSC-P1 camera". I'm intrigued as to why this should cause the batteries to read incorrectly (as opposed to not just charge at all). And I don't think my contacts were corroded, but I see they were replaced by Sony. I wonder what else is going on.

And I have also just had to send it (P1) away again, this time under the extended warranty / all risks insurance (so to "Mastercare" in the UK), because the shutter release packed up. It came back in a week with a new "PW-122 board", value 116 GB pounds. So at least I have the 120 I spent on the warranty recouped!
DavidTurnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:10 PM   #7
Default This is a known service issue.

spotted this the other day, as my mate has a P1.
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:26 PM   #8

I just placed this not into the forums:

dseps is offline   Reply With Quote