Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

Hi again everyone;

Another post regarding recent purchase of Nikon CP 8800....

I spend a decent amount of time out in the field; hiking/ backpacking, etc. in remote locations without access to a charger, etc. for several days at a time.

I am trying to figure out which is the best option for me-

1) buy several OEM EN-EL7 Lithium-Ion (7.4v 1100mAh) batteries

2) buy the Nikon battery pack which allows the use of AA batteries of various sorts:

In the past on similar backcountry trips, with my previous Lumix FZ-10, I carried 1 OEM battery and two lesser quality replacement batteries, whichin spite of having two poorer quality batteries, wound up supplyingenough power for 4 days of intensive shooting, deleting, reviewing, etc. Additionally, I wound up loaning one of the knock-off batteries to a buddy whose device used the same type battery.

The OEM-type batteries have the advantage of being relatively small, light, and easy to carry. This is of import when the sum of all your gear for 4-5 days is 35 lbs.

Do any of you see any distinct advantages to someone like myself in using the Nikon battery pack above? Ultimately, I am unsure I really see any benefits in having it, other than it 'looks cool'.

Again, thanks for tolerating my newbie question and thanks for looking!
frankm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links