Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 18, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1

Here is a link to the spec sheet: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc.pdf

This charger cost me $20 and included 4 2500 mah batteries.

1) How does it's timer work? It sounds like it has an 8.5 hour built in (clock) timer.

2) What if I only use the batteries 50% and put them in the charger overnight?

3) What happens if I put a lower mah battery in the charger and let it charge overnight?

4) Also, I understand it doesn't have a discharge feature. So if I want to discharge a battery and fully charge it (deep cycle it), how sould a go about doing so? Enegizer says never use a flashlight to do this. What sould I use? Thanks.

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2

I bought the same charger a few weeks ago and have the same questions. There does not seem to be a place provided by the manufacturer to find an answer to any of them.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 8:40 AM   #3

To answer your questions:

1) The timer shuts down the charger after the predetermined amount of time has ellapsed

2) Your cells will be overcharged and their life will be substantially shortned

3) Same as 2) Overcharge will occur

4) Most of the electronic devices do not discharge to 1V/cell. You can construct a discharger if you are handy with the soldering iron and have a digital voltmeter, otherwize get a better charger

I always advice people to stay away from trhese slow, timer controlled chargers. They are usually cheap and may appear a good value, but in a long run most users purchase a better charger after awhile. They are slow and may overcharge your cells. If you use them in a digital camera, which discharges approximately 90% of the available capacity this charger will overcharge the cells every time. The designers of these chargers are counting on that at this charging rate no immediate damage to the cells will occur. However, over time the signs of repeated overcharge will start to show. You can expect that the capacity of your new cells will start to fall after approximately 50 cycles. After 100 cycles this will bge quite noticible.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 8:56 AM   #4

Your right; there's not much info available for this charger. I also have the same charger, but haven't used it much as I have some other chargers.

It apparently does use a timer to shut off from what I can see also. It charges at a lower charge rate (hence the long charge times) which is safe for a continuous charge into a cell, even a full one.

You could put a lower capacity cell or a 50% full cell and 'overcharge' it at this lower charge rate without any unsafe circumstances, but overcharging a cell will decrease the overall life of the cell.

Regarding discharging, it does help a NiMH cell get to it's fullest capacity ability and helps it stay there if done about every 10-15 cycles or so. Some people discharge at every charge, but this is unnecessary and decreases the useful charge life (number of charges)of the cell as well. You will see a significant increase is cell capacity after a NiMH cell is cycled about 7 times or so. The chargers that discharge the cells do not totally and entirely discharge the cells. This can cause immediate damage to them and render them useless, which is why you should never discharge a cell by leaving it in a turned on flashlight until is goes completely dead. Using a charger with discharging technology is the optimum meathod, but for the most part, normal use works well enough, and overall, you will still get much, much more useful life and cost savings vs using alkaline cells!

If you simply want to charge cells with one of the least expensive or smallest chargers, this one works fine. The downside: It's slow, doesn't have any smart charger or voltage detection circuitry (overcharges your cells), and has to charge cells in pairs.

Hope some of this info helps!

tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote