Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:33 PM   #1

Occasionally my charger will cycle between green & red lites about 1 x per second (green, red, green, etc.) Anybody know what this indicates?

under this condition the battery operates as if fully charged, but the lite will never go green steady on.

Most of the time I have correct function of solid red on until charged; then solid green.

The battery I usually have problems with is a generic BP-2LcL Li-ion 800mAh.

Maybe the charger knows it's not a Canon & it's mad at me? thanks, -Mike
boilermiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:11 AM   #2

Hello Mike,

This may have something to do with the battery getting old. The charger supplies first a constant current, then hold the voltage constant as the current drops off to a set level.

As a battery ages, its internal resistance goes up making it harder to hold the voltage the charger is set to.

When the battery voltage drops, it signals the charger to turn back on. Since the battery is already full, the voltage quickly rises and the charger shuts back off.

It would be interesting to know the voltage of the battery when it charges properly (the green light stays on), and after 30 minutes resting not hooked up to anything. These measurements may give an idea of what is going on.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote