Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:19 PM   #1
Default recharging batteries in europe

I am planning a big trip to France with my new Canon powershot G1. Can I use a DC converter with a battery recharger? Is it safe? Can my camera go through security xray ok? Any other thoughts traveling with my camera?

[Edited on 7-2-2002 by JJ]
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:49 PM   #2

Here are two links to similar questions I responded to over at dpreview.com

Hope this helps. Have a great trip...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:22 AM   #3

i used converter with my batteries. read the converters limits i have a heavy duty switchable unit from Radio Shack. it has a 50w and a 1600w output. it reads for: 50w ONLY- for use with 110/120 volt motorized or electronic appliences up to 50w. 1600w ONLY- for use with 110/120 volt heating appliances rated up to 1600w

do not use with auto start /shutoff or electronically controlled heating appliances

worked just fine for the batteries and other assorted items i had

xray doesn't seem to have any affect on these items. my stuff with my laptop as gone thru lots of times.

the only warning i have seen about cf cards is postal related. the USPS is using an electron beam type device to clean mail in their system Post 911/Bio terrorist acts. this has been known to heve the potential to frag memory cards to the point of nonfunction forever
ref: http://www.usps.com/news/2001/press/pr01_091.htm

[Edited on 7-13-2002 by sjms]

[Edited on 7-14-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 6:45 PM   #4
Default recharging in Europe

I was in Europe in Feb., I was there using a Nikon Coolpix 5000. I saw that the recharger was also rated for Euro current as well (mine indicated 115-230V). I use used a simple plug adapter to adapt to the Italian plugs. No problems whatso ever. I used this method with my Apple Powerbook as well.

Power converters are oftne heavy, bulky, and expensive, save your money, just get a plug adapter set-but check your charger imput voltage!
sjstremb is offline   Reply With Quote