Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1

Hi was just wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for conventional AAA batteries that work well in cold weather. Temperatures around 0 degreesC and lower. I am going skiing in january and need something that will work. I have researched this a bit and have been told it all depends on the level of different solvents.

Low quantitys of EC

[align=left]Large quantity of low viscosity, low freezing point and high conductivity solvents like EMC, DMC, EA.[/align]
[align=left]As these types of batteries dont say whether they work low temperatures or not on the packaging, or atleast i have never seen batteries saying they work well in cold conditions or not.I don't know how to decide. If anyone has had any experience using different brands in cold conditions their advice would be appreciated or any expert advice on this subject and/or where i can purchase batteries. The last time i went away the batteries i used just didnt work, brand new batteries just wouldn't turn camera on.[/align]
[align=left]On a similiar note i will also be taking my sanyo xacti c5 and wondered how that would fair in the same conditions.[/align]
[align=left]lithium ion battery pack (DB-L20)[/align]
[align=left]3.7V 720mAh.[/align]
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2

Alkaline batteries freeze somewhere around -4F (-20C), so if you're going to be somewhere between freezing and -20C, you should be OK. However, even if they are not frozen, their output will be somehwat diminished. Keeping your camera or other electronic device in a pocket next to your body will help the batteries stay warmer.

A good alternative for you would be to get some lithium AAA's. I have a wireless outdoor temperature transmitter. The manual that came with it says that it is only good to the aforementioned -4F/-20C point with alkalines. However, with lithium batteries in it, the manual claims it will work down to below -50. I can't vouch for that, but I know I have had no problems with the lithiums when the temperature was down to -22F/-30C. As a matter of fact, the indoor base unit is telling me now that its bateries need to be replaced. The lithiums in the outdoor transmitter, however, are still going strong after more than two years of use. Much better than I could expect from alkalines.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:46 AM   #3

Agree, the disposable lithium batteries are the way to go in cold weather.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:28 AM   #4

altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

Hello S96024,

I agree that the Energizer Lithium AAA cells are the way to go for cold weather use.

Your Li-Ion battery will suffer at first until the chemistry warms up, then it should be OK. You can expect a 40-60% decrease in capacity when working in cold temperatures.

Remember, chemicals are more active in warmer temperatures, so anything you can do to keep your batteries warmer will pay off in improved performance.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6

Cheers, loads of help. Think it will only be -5 to -10 degrees C. Think i will try the energizer lithiums. Was really dissapointed last time i took a camera and it just wouldn't work, missed out on loads of shots. (Granted was cheap camera/cheap batteries). Didn't think about the cold. Hoping i will be able to catch some good footage with the c5 on the slopes.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote