Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:52 AM   #11

i got a compatable battery for my olympus e300, not of ebay but from the place i get my memory cards, it cost £9.99 and carries a guarentee

i dont expect it to last as long as the genuine article but i only want it as a back up while my genuine one charges, like when on holiday etc

its a totally different matter how ever to sell a compatable one as genuine thats fraud

reporting to ebay wont do much good.......the best thing it to leave feedback saying they are fake dont buy......that will really harm him as u did but offcourse offender will do the same

looked at the pics and id say deffo counterfit but without genuine one to compare with it would be hard to tell

TELL CANON !!! thats if they care......give details of how many units he as shifted...they should care as they have a reputation!!

ps never ever buy anything that comes from another country.........here in England our ebay is swamped by imports from the far east.....just think about it.....how do u stand if what u get dont work?? mail it back at your cost?? whick will then done away with any money saved!

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:39 PM   #12

I did contact Canon about this and gave them a link to my website. They contacted me on Tuesday and said they would forward my email to the appropriate department for review (whatever that means).

They said they saw the differences and then spewed out some of the press release stuff (counterfeit batteries can explode, blah blah blah) which I had already ready when researching about counterfeit batteries.

I haven't heard from them since nor have I heard from Paypal or Ebay about my complaint. He continues to sell the batteries on Ebay and people continue to give him positive feedback...so much so that my negative to him is quickly getting hidden. <sigh>

I expect Paypal to be a while but if I haven't heard from them in a couple more weeks, I'll be contacting my credit card company to complain about the charge.

As for buying from outside your own country...even that's not a guarantee. It appears that many people have items shipped from China (dropship) even though they reside from within your country. My counterfeiter is a prime example. I only hopethat somehow somebody gets him on tax evasion if not counterfeit fraud. haha :evil:
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:12 PM   #13

Would a best buy (or wherever).. battery with a 'no name' label.. :ie energizer.. be ok?..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"An example.. when I bought a camcorder.. there was a Canon battery for it.. that cost 129.99.. there was the energizer equivilant.. the guy didn't even ask me and threw that onto my bill (mind you it was 69.99 and would have bought that over the 129.99 one)..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So my question is... is it better to buy the 'name' one.. or is it ok to cheap out a BIT.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Going off of my old camcorder.. in the end I ended up with over 6 batteries.. name or not.. they do wear out eventually.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:25 PM   #14

vwmom wrote:
Would a best buy (or wherever).. battery with a 'no name' label.. :ie energizer.. be ok?..
That isn't no name battery, Energizer is known manufacturer.

So it's different than no-name batteries which are propably same as those counterfeits.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:41 PM   #15

I'm sure the hun is too smart to EVERget taken over. We all learned from the hun.

I just posted the same question as this also happened to me. Great price, great review, just great great. Got the battery and it lasts for about 2min. Oh well, live and learn. Since I decided to sell my camera because I couldn't afford the battery as the rinniethehun put it, i now use a box camera. NO BATTERIES:G

picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:04 AM   #16

I wanted to update you all on what has happened. First off, I actually sent the faux battery back to the Ebay seller....butlet's just say it can't be resold and leave it at that. I got my money back from Paypal (minus what it cost me to ship the battery back to the nitwit). In what amounts to bad timing, I was contacted, a few days after I had sent it back, by UL (Underwriters Laboratories) regarding the battery (I had written them about the battery) and they wanted all the information I could give them about the battery, the seller, etc. etc. I wish I could have sent them the battery. Paypal, by the way, does not care a bit if it's a counterfeit, they would not give me my money back unless I shipped the counterfeit back. Their position was, basically, "we dont' care". They told me to contact Ebay if I had a problem with the purchase. Well, Ebay doesn't care either.

The Canon batteries, at least this one and most of them, have a label on that indicates that it contains parts that have been tested by UL and passed the standards test. Counterfeiting these labels has become a concern with UL and they've got an entire department dedicated to foiling these guys. So, it's in their hands but I haven't heard anything else from them since.

The Ebay seller is still selling but he's received more negatives and neutrals now...but you can't tell because after he received them, he made his feedback private and then to make it even tougher to find his negs, he made all of his auctions private as well. People continue to purchase from him despite the fact that he has all these negs and he's now cloaked in secrecy. Will people never learn?????????

Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:38 AM   #17

I'm not surprised that Paypal doesn't care. They are owned by eBay.

I had a similar experience at Amazon.com when I bought a used DVD through their amazon marketplace. The 'used' DVD turned out to be an asian pirated copy (good quality, by the way, just pirated).

I left negative feedback, stating very clearly that the DVD was a pirated copy. The seller had the gaul to threaten me with legal action. I replied, of course, with 'bring it on'. Never heard from him again.

But I also complained to Amazon, and like eBay, they just didn't care. So remember that the Amazon Marketplace is also an outlet for fake, counterfit and pirated items, just like eBay.

PS: I should point out that I was in the USA at the time.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:54 AM   #18

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... is it really a duck ?

When it comes to buying digicambatteries eBay is the last place to look for them, there are probably only two or three reputable dealers there and about 10,000 overseas vendors selling crap. Best place to order online is B&H Photo in NYC or Henrys in Canada. Or use a known price search engine but stay away from eBay.

The latest eBaytrend seems to be if you want to sell a $50 item you have a Buy It Now price of $9.99 with a $55 shipping charge. The seller saves eBay commission fees with a lower sales price as theshipping chargeisn't figured into the fees.

Bottom line is use common sense, you can't buy a $60 battery for much less than $50 no matter who is selling it unless it was priced wrong or it's a scam.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:04 PM   #19

In what could be called strange timing, I was contacted by Canon Canada today. Ha...I finally get some action but after I've shipped the battery back. I've sent them all the information that I have (and they're well aware of this guy). I hope they nail him.:blah:

His feedback is now, mysteriously, not private anymore. To confirm Steve's comments...he's now selling that same battery for $7 with a $24 shipping charge. Hmmmm...I paid $25 for it with a $10 shippign charge. Gee...perhaps he should be reported for Ebay Fee Avoidance... we know that Ebay doesn't care about counterfeits but they sure care if they're getting ripped off. :lol:

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:46 AM   #20

Well, I brought a generic imitation NP-400 battery for my A2 on ebay for £6 + £4 p&p and it seems to perform pretty similarly to the original. The ad was fairly straightforward, saying it was designed to 'meet or exceed' the spec. of the original.

I seem to remember checking dpreview KM forum and seeing a few people say they had decent 3rd party batteries. If I'd read more threads like this one I think I'd have given it a miss. The one I got was generic, but as I say, appears to me to be fine.
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote