Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:03 AM   #1

From Steves news: "Duracell Launches New 15-Minute Charger and Higher-Capacity Batteries"

Those new technologies really goes faster and farther each day ! - It seems that its really a good choice to choose a DSLR camera or built one that uses those rechargeable batteries instead of the lithium ones, easy to get, charge fast and seems like a great option for someone whos battery's capacity is one of his top priorities.

As far as I know only Pentax with its *ist DSLR line has cameras that support those NiMh batteries, so good for Pentax users.

Those batteries are cheap and easy to carry around, batteries are finished just plug&play that all there into it, No more waiting hours till the charging is complete, don't want to wait, just by extra ones and put it in your bag or pocket and you are ready for an whole weekend of shooting without thinking about your batteries power and looking at the battery meter from time to time.

I wonder how many of you think the same, please write your comments. . .
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2

While I use NiMH batteries in certain applications (such as external flash units), I strongly prefer LiIONs for my camera itself. IMHO LiIONs are overall much better than NiMH cells (and have replaced NiMH batteries in popularity with many photographers) for several reasons: they have a higher energy density than most other types of rechargeables, hence are lighter and more compact than NiMh batteries; (BTW, they do not suffer from memory effect)LiION cell lifespan is often more than one third longer than NiMh batteries (they can accept more charge cycles); they also have a lower self discharge rate than other types of rechargeable batteries (longer charged shelf life) — NiMH and NiCads lose anywhere up to 5% of their charge daily, while LiIONs often retain most of their charge even after months of storage. In short, lithium-ion batteries can be smaller and lighter, yet have a higher voltage and hold a charge much longer than other types of batteries. And that is worth their price to me.

As for fast recharging of NiMH ... I currently use an automated, monitoring each individual cell recharger formy flash's batteries ( the new Duracell unit and batteries does look like a good, inexpensive choice) but choose to exclusively use LiIONs in my cameras.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:22 PM   #3

It's about time, now we will have another choice in rapid chargers. The Energizer 15 minute charger has been the only on available that works with a wide variety of batteries for some time now. It will be interesting to see how the Duracell charger works.

It could be the same as the Energizer 15 minute, but with Duracell's name on it...

The Ray O Vac IC-3 system also works quite well, but you need Ray O Vac IC-3 batteries to utilize the fast charge rate. I don't like being tied to one brand of batteries and prefer to have a choice.

I will say that the Ray O Vac system works very well. They advertise over 1000 cycles on their cells, which is quite good for the higher capacity NiMh cells. Most of the other cells (including Li-Ion) only advertise 500 cycles.

Sanyo is introducing their new eneloop cells. They are advertised to maintain 85% of their initial capacity after on year of room temperature storage. It seems the self discharge argument against NiMh cells is going away. I just finished testing some of these cells and after 30 days, they still had 95% of their initial capacity. That is a little higher self discharge than Sanyo is advertising. The rate may not be totally linear, but even at this rate you still end up with around 55% of your total capacity after a year of storage. I can see that I will have to do another test after 2 months to see if the rate levels off after the first month.

I like NiMh batteries, but I also like Li-Ion batteries. They tend to be lighter and have a high energy density, however the higher capacity NiMh cells are closing in fast.

The drawback to Li-Ion batteries is that they generally cost more, and you need a special charger to charge them back up. If you are caught out in a remote area, you are more likely to find AA batteries and chargers than Li-Ion. However, the last time I was in a remote area, my Li-Ion batteries worked just fine.

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote